 General / 45370
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:31:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   -snip newsgroup flooding-

I would be very surprised if Lego let you use “Lego” in the URL for the site. They are pretty tough on these things - and if they let you do it they will be opening one heck of a can of worms. Because IF they let you do it they will be “diluting the brand name” as is the popular term here on Lugnet.

Mark, you are certainly correct that we have a policy of not allowing unauthorized uses of “LEGO” in the domain name. It is very important that consumers are clear who has developed the site, and using “LEGO” in the domain tends to tell people that the site is supported by the LEGO Company. From our Fair Play policy:

The LEGO trademark should not be incorporated into an Internet address. Internet addresses have become useful tools for people to identify the source of a homepage. Using “LEGO” in the domain name would be creating the misleading impression that the LEGO Group sponsored the homepage.

However, in this case, we are indeed supporting this project. We still aren’t quite clear what exactly the support will be, or whether the LEGOFan team will actually accept our support. Assuming they do, one thing that have agreed to offer is that domain name usage.

You can see a similar exception with the LEGOWorld.nl domain. This was a site co-developed by the company and fans.

Hope this helps!

Jake

---
Jake McKee