 General / 43836
Re: Petition against permanent color changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:28:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Wilson wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Ryan Rubino wrote:
   snippage

Children care little about the exact shade of a color and a lot about the shape and content of parts offered. They are more interested in the creativity and inspiration of individual kits as well as themes.

more snippage

Think about what it means when your colors don’t match any more.

As Ryan noted... kids may not care at all about this, much less even notice it.

   I expounded more on it here, but I think this shows a fundamental shift at LEGO, away from creativity (i.e., dump all your sets together and build something) and toward set-building (build it and keep it built).

Then how do you explain the Designer Sets? They were resoundly declared by the community as a positive shift back toward the core values of creativity.

I’m not saying the color thingy is a good thingy... but just that it may actually fit in with some of the company’s recent positive changes. We may not like all aspects of all of the changes, but we really are getting better sets this last 18 months or so. And from what I’ve heard the Make and Create philosophy is a long-term strategy, not a ‘see what happens for a while’ approach. Let’s hope that the changes integrate in the end to make a system we’re all more or less happy with.

All the best, Allan B.