 General / 43835
43834  |  43836
Subject:
Why I support LEGO through thick and thin.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:26:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

To everyone at LUGNET and LEGO, I want to say this:

I was first introduced to LEGO when I was five. My family and I were going on a long road trip and my parents bought me LEGO set #565 5+ Build-N-Store Chest to keep me occupied during the long hours on the road. I, like any kid, was hooked. My parents encouraged my building and soon they bought a huge box of LEGO at a yard sale and gave it to me for Christmas. One of my fondest childhood memories was turning a corning, rubbing sleep from my eyes, and seeing before under the sparkling Christmas tree the original #6074 Black Falcon’s Fortress.

Throughout the years I have collected over a hundred twenty LEGO sets: Classic Space, LEGOLAND castle, Black Falcons, Spyrius, Adventurers, Aquazone, Space Port, Studios, Aqua Raiders, Forrestmen, Harry Potter, Black Knights, Aquanauts, Alpha Team, LEGO Island Extreme Stunts, many variations on the Town theme, Mindstorms, Pirates, Dragon Masters, Jurassic Park III, Designer, Technic, Spiderman, Royal Knights, Star Wars, Stingrays, Islanders, Wild West, Explorian, Discovery NASA, Wolfpack and even one Paradisa set. My LUGNET set guide tells me I have over 14620 pieces, and I’m sure I have more than that, due to eBay buys, yard sales, trades with friends and Pick-A-Brick. I devote at least three hours a day to building and four hours to sorting about every two weeks. I spend 95% of my money I earn on LEGO, and I am never sorry I did.

In 1998 my parents got our iMac hooked up to the Internet and I began surfing the net. In late 2000 I discovered LUGNET, and I was amazing that there were actually people out there – adults as well as kids, mind you – that played, built and collected like I did. Finally in December of 2002 I got my LUGNET membership and officially be came a member of LEGO fan group. It has been nearly a years since I joined, and now I am a proud member of, in addition to LUGNET, Brickshelf, Peeron, FBTB.net, Brickfilms.com, Bricklink.com, MOCpages and Classic-Castle.com. LEGO has been a part of my life since age five and has never faltered. I intend to keep it that way.

After joining LUGNET, I was suddenly exposed to millions of opinions; likes, dislikes, complains, leaks on future sets, engaging discussions, pointless debates, exuberant praise, and the nastiest insults and arguments. Many of the ‘bashing’ threads have been about LEGO’s new hit theme Bionicle. Before I had even looked the new sets, I was already biased about the amount of ‘juniorised parts’, and ‘wacky’ colors and just ‘plain stupid’ story line. After I actually saw the sets the catalog, my bias as a LEGO fan that bought set for the pieces was confirmed. However, when I went to a friend of a friend’s house one evening, I saw one little boy no older than six playing with Bionicle the same way I had many years ago when I pitting my Forrestmen against my Black Falcons. He was having fun, and created at the same time too. While I watched he took apart Onua and Nuhvok, added some tentacles from Aragog (of Harry Potter fame) and began pitting this fearsome creature against a tribe of Turagas. I may not like Bionicle for the pieces, but this line is creating more LEGO fans, and that is all a LEGO theme needs to do to earn my respect. “Play Well” and “Just Imagine” is still going strong.

Now of course, there is the problem with the hullabaloo over the replacement colors of gray, dark gray, brown and one other color. People have complained to LEGO that they have been betrayed and some intend to boycott LEGO by buying Megabloks. To be honest and quite frank, this is dumb. AFOLs make up about 5% percent of all LEGO sales, and even if all the members of LUGNET and FBTB.com combined stop buying LEGO for good it’ll hardly make a dent in LEGO’s sales. I myself will continue buying LEGO until the day I die, and a little matter of color replacement isn’t going to rattle me. Yes, I’m annoyed these core colors are being replaced, but I’m not having a conniption fit over it. I feel quite sorry for Jake and everyone else at TLC right now, who is getting more bashing and insults than Jar-Jar ever did.

Changes are part of a company’s growth. Remember the Monorail? Gone. Maxifigs? Gone. Minifig Head Stud Hollow? Gone. Technic Gear 24 Tooth with Three Axle Holes? Gone. With exception of the Monorail, all these changes were an improvement. I believe the change of colors is the same.

It all comes down to this:

I BELIEVE IN YOU LEGO!!! HERE’S A PAT ON THE BACK AND A BIG HUG FROM ME!!!

Play Well…

(NOTE: Anyone who agrees with me, please post your replies in .general. Anyone who wants to bash me/LEGO/anyone else PLEASE post to off-topic.debate)