 General / 39920
Re: Any thoughts on making bricks in a 'brick red' color?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:50:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
Anyone besides me think that this would make a nice color to have for
constructing realistic looking brick buildings?

http://guide.lugnet.com/color/?q=R02

I agree that it would be nice, and I must say that the new dark red *is* an
excellent color for modeling brick buildings (having actually made one myself:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=239873)

All we need is for TLC to come out with some bulk packs in this color and we'd
be set:-)

umm.. color me "confused". Are these the same colors or just very close to
each other. It's always dangerous to guess from electronic images, but to
these tired old eyes they seem pretty close?

'Tis true.  They are pretty close to me as well.  In my own defense, all I
can provide is that I made my posting based on three things:

1)  Not having seen a building/model like that, to know that such bricks
apparently already exist.

2)  Thinking that the 'dark red' on Bricklink was a more cranberry color,
and therefore not exactly what I had in mind.  Am I correct in thinking that
the building above was modelled in 'dark red' as shown on Bricklink?  If so,
how on earth did you aquire that many bricks in that shade?  I see almost no
1 x X or 2 x X bricks in that shade available on Bricklink.  Or.... is that
how you aquired them and that's why there's none left.  :)

3)  Todd's color chart.  Which I viewed on two different monitors, to be
sure that the link I posted was to a color which truly did look like 'brick
red' to me.  And the fact that he listed it as not being an official color.

It was really just a curious question.  But the building shown above
illustrates that the bricks already out there are probably as close to a
'brick' color as ever there will be.

ah... the offical color is R04. R02 is redder/lighter. Never mind.

R2 who?  ;)

Depending on where in the country you live, R04 is not a bad approximation
for bricks... so is R02 though, as is RO02... (the next hue over) and OR02
and OR03 too for that matter. Bog.

The next thing you know I'll be asking for Norman bricks in a sand yellow
color.  This is madness!

Well given that they just brought out R04 I guess I'd rather have lots and
lots of elements in that color (as J2 said) before getting even a few in R02.

I agree.

(Whine mood on.... please forgive)

I only wish that the company would see pics like the building above and
realize that there are folks interested in making more realistic buildings
that aren't primary red or blue.  Space is great.  Castle is lovely.  Trains
are divine.  But for some of us... architecture is a driving passion.

I know your feelings on SKU's Larry, but honestly, I do hope they can find a
way to expand the bulk line to include some packs that would favor
architectural creations.  More arches, more windows, more doors, and
definitely more dark brick red bricks.

(Whine mood off... hope that was at least partially positive)

All the best!
Allan B.