 General / 39790
Re: New train poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:24:46 GMT

Harvey Henkelman wrote:

My first too...

http://members.lugnet.com/polls/ballots/?n=119

Interesting poll. I thought I'd share my rankings and reasoning:

1 steam engine wheels (a small number of parts would make a whole range
of nice models much easier to build)
2 new structures (model railroads are more than just track and trains)
3 working signals etc. (accessories are always fun)
4 small kits (give the kids something to buy with their allowance)

That's about the end of the things I think are vital for TLC to do

5 new track components (while these would be nice, and certainly high on
my priority, I'm just not sold on the need for TLC to do it, this is a
great opportunity for a third party to step in, however, if TLC is going
to do something in this area, one of the first things they should do is
talk to Ben Fleskes who has come up with (and made prototypes of) a new
set of turnout pieces which would require 4 new track parts, new left
and right turnout, 1/2 curve, special length short straight which allow
a turnout to either be configured as the existing ones, or to configure
like most low end model RR turnouts where the diverging track is a
segment of a curved track allowing a loop with passing track shaped
somewhat like a paper clip)

5 (oops put 2 5s and no 6s) 6 wheel train motor (a usefull part, but not
vital)

7 get trains into stores (well, Target's already doing that, this isn't
really under TLC's control)

8 DCC (a great thing for a third party)

9 knuckle couplers (another third party item)

10 more involvement of AFOLs in train design (I think it's cool that TLC
has reached out to the AFOL community, but I don't see AFOL design
involvement as being vital).

Frank