 General / 39253
39252  |  39254
Subject:
Noooooo!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:01:18 GMT

So there I was, after a long day of work and a couple hours of housework,
when I decided I should settle into a few good hours of building.  I've had
this idea for a spaceship for a while (the first of those for a new faction,
so I was excited to explore a radical (for me) design).  So I settled into
building.

...As some of you might have caught, I spent a few months earlier in the
year organizing my pieces into about ten computer paper boxes, mostly by
color for basic elements, and a few boxes for speciallized elements.  And
for really small items I had used some cardboard trays that originated in
some TLC packaging of long ago.  The process of sorting was among the most
tedious I've endured in relation to this hobby, and it was with great
reservation that I decided to even do it (after over twenty years of never
sorting).  But once it was done, I reaped immediate benefit.  My castle
projects during the spring and summer were completed in a fraction of the
time I had estimated.  My first attempt at a Moonbase went together in just
two or three days.  And best of all, I new I would never have to sort
anything other than new sets again...

So there I am, building away, with the various boxes opened and positioned
around my living room coffee table.  The ship was taking shape nicely.  But
my tray of 1x1 plates had been out of reach, so I had moved it to balance on
the corner of a box filled with gray blocks.  Then I twisted to reach into
the box of blue blocks.  Suddenly I heard a crash, and I didn't need to turn
around to know I had bumped the precariously perched tray of 1x1 plates.  I
stood up to survey the damage and saw the 1x1 plates (mostly the shades of
gray that come from Mosaics) strewn in throughout the box of gray blocks.
(Ah, you say, at least everything landed in a box.)  But then, in my dismay,
I stepped backward, only to discover my heel in sudden contact with the
corner of yet another box!  Unable to stop the momentum, all I could do was
wince as the catapult-like movement of the box underfoot sent *all* of my
black bricks scattering across my living room, some mixing into other boxes,
some falling on the rug, and others bouncing under the furniture.

The sorting!  The finding!  The resorting!  The hoping to high heaven the
cat doesn't find the pieces that I surely missed!  Ah the tragedy!

And so it is that I find myself writing "Noooooo!!" on Lugnet at 3:00am...

Sigh.  The things I do for my spaceships...  :)

-Hendo