 General / 39170
  Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

Been talking to a few people online and we've all noticed that Brickshelf seems to be considerably slow lately. Is there anything we should know about or perhaps anything the community can do? -Jon -- | The Shipyard - (URL) The Moonbase Project - (...) (22 years ago, 30-Oct-02, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Yeah, I've had the same experience. I figured it was due to one or more of: - less bandwidth available to BrickShelf at new ISP - excess of activity (more users, more viewers) - new moderation code - existance/busy-ness of geekshelf Would be (...) (22 years ago, 30-Oct-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

Yeah! Me too - but I ingnore it because it is free - and a danged good quality of free too. Keep up the good work Kev! Jeremy (...) (22 years ago, 30-Oct-02, to lugnet.general)

"Jeremy Scott" <Copyright@cox.net> wrote in message news:H4tIE7.EM2@lugnet.com... (...) Oh I think it's a great service too but I'm not going to let that stop me from enquiring about it's health. It really has seemed slow lately and I was wondering (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) I've been noticing this also. It has sharply curtailed my looking at MOCs. These days I tend to only look if I think it's really interesting. I'm curious if it's that BrickShelf is getting a huge load, or if something else is causing the (...) (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

I've found it slow lately also ... it's difficult, in that I love Brickshelf, and I check it several times a day. Hopefully Kevin will let us know if he needs anything from the community here. -s (...) (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

I agree, it is slower. I think it would probably be a big help if Kevin would limit the sizes of images uploaded. Perhaps they could just be automatically resized to no bigger than 640x480, the way the thumbnails are generated. (If the larger image (...) (22 years ago, 16-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) I hate to say it but this site is more or less dead to me now. I never check the recent additions anymore. I never upload anything to it now (and I'm considering revising my website so it doesn't point to anymore images there). I honestly (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

A big "me to" here. It is really a sad thing to see happen. Not only was it slow when you first brought up this topic, but I feel it is worse now. I feel it may be a result of lack of $$$ which means less bandwith. KL, just ask and I know you shall (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) We have been maxing out our bandwidth for some time now. I am working on a solution but unfortunately it is not in place yet. KL (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) This is good news. I'm in agreement that the slowness of late has been pretty bad. Not that I'm complaining. When I first discovered Brickshelf, I was absolutely astounded (and still am!) that such a cool thing existed - and was free to boot. (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Yeah, how about a $10 annual membership fee? With over 10,000 Brickshelf members, I'm sure Kevin would be able to get a nice, fat pipe and be able to manage it full time. -John (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Yeah...I would have no problem paying for my account, so long as they eliminate the moderation process. (who would honestly upload files of poor discretion if they're paying for the account?) Other than that, and the thought that the paid (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Test.

Test. (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.test)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Kevin, Hopefully its just not today, but the speed IS BACK!!!!!!! Thanx a bunch, Yay Kevin!!!!!!!! Mark #525 (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Nothing has changed on our end. You are probably getting better speed because of all of the college kids going home for Thanksgiving. KL (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

You know, this is sounding like a really good idea! I see something a lot like how Lugnet is working, where you can have posting abilities w/o membership, but no added benefits. and benefits could include loading w/o moderation (and if someone does (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  RE: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

I was afraid you were going to say that.....:-( Thanx, Mark Millere Visit Milissa's Lego Store, Millere's Spares www.bricklink.com/st...p=MMillere -----Original Message----- From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway...net.com]On Behalf Of (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) How about a $10 annual membership fee for "gold" members? Perhaps "gold" members' uploaded pictures & folders get moderated instantly? Maybe their folders get *marked* as unmoderated, but are displayed anyway. Hence, they still go through the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

You are right, Jon. People need to realize that "free" is relative anyway. Sure, Kevin did a great deed in setting up the site and helping to build the community. However, it is part of a community, and it looses most of its value if the community (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) NOOOOO. You don't want TLC to buy BrickShelf. Why? You think there is moderation now? You think it's painfully slow now? On the other hand, TLC could (and does) support BrickShelf. Kevin could do some investigation of costs though, and come to (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

Funny, I really don't have any problems. Large pictures come slowly, and some people upload BMP's (KL, an idea could to to convert to the JPGs). BMPs take years to see, but for normal sized pictures (I prefer max 800x600) come at a normal speed. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

The speed -or lack thereof- of Brickshelf wouldn't have anything to do with high-trafic sites using Brickshelf for all their picture content? Duq "Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:3DE55B80.461BBE...ing.com... (...) anyway. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Geekshelf has it's own separate pool of bandwidth. While it too is currently maxed out (also due to unexpected popularity), it does not affect the Brickshelf bandwidth. In other words, if Geekshelf were shut off, you would not see any (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) That's good news. As long as there are no pop-up ads, I'm fine with it. Anything to help Brickshelf! -JHK (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) That's good news. As long as there are no pop-up ads, I'm fine with it. Anything to help Brickshelf! -JHK (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

Aack! Why do I get so many double-postings now? -JHK (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) untill he had to start moderating anything that goes into it. I hate to say it, but brickshelf is beginning to lose favor with me too. *sniff* (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) I would MUCH rather see a paid subscription service, than to see Brickshelf succumb to corporate sponsors. Especially if they're sponsors that have nothing to do with the LEGO hobby. Please Kevin, allow users to pay you something like $10/yr, (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

Kevin -- any feedback on this? -Tim (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) I'd pay $10 per year IN A HEARTBEAT, especially if it could help avoid advertisments. With the amount of pics I've uploaded in my relatively short time here, I'd almost feel guilty that $10 is too much of a bargain! Whatever Kevin decides to (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

Hi Brian - (...) Yup. (...) I'm not *that* loyal. If Kevin makes decisions about BrickShelf which severely devalue the service for me (such as inclusion of advertisements) without soliciting the opinion of the community and providing an ad-free (...) (21 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Slow Moderation on Brickshelf [?]

I uploaded some pictures eons ago, and they are still not public. Is there still a backlog? Do I have to request moderation for my uploads? e.g.: (URL) A (21 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Seriously? I mean, you thought the ads earlier this year for stuff like BrickFest(sm) and Milton Train Works(tm) were so bad that Brickshelf lost a "tremendous amount of value" for you?? (...) Unless it's getting free bandwidth it will sooner (...) (21 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Ditto. Though if the cost is high enough, I'd just bump up my pair.com account level to compensate for the extra hard drive space I'd need there and quit using brickshelf. (...) I understand the issue, but ads are pretty easy to ignore. (...) (21 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Well, yes and no there. I'm definitely in favor of both BrickFest(sm) and Milton Train Works(tm), so those I didn't mind so much (they still got filtered through WebWasher). I guess what alarmed me was Kevin's statement in this post about (...) (21 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) A few ideas to ignore... 1) If folks would use their brickshelf accounts as if they were paying for them there'd be a lot less bandwidth used. Limits to image and folder sizes have been suggested before. Other bandwidth-limiting features might (...) (21 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Slow Moderation on Brickshelf [?]

(...) They are working now - thanks. Scott A (21 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

Snipped a lot of good suggestions about being a bit more economical. (...) Weird, I bought space there too and am not getting spammed. Why is that? Wonder if it was one of those "look hard and make sure you uncheck it or else you said you wanted it" (...) (21 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Yea, so, of course, you are probably right. There is a huge potential for them to muck it all up. I guess I just dream of it being well supported, as well as being a strong community for sharing our Lego projects. I think TLG has the resources (...) (21 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

Well, I think this gets to the point of where Brickshelf is in danger. The biggest value to me is in the "network externalities" of the site. This is the site where practically _all_ Lego images are found. Even people with sites elsewhere use (...) (21 years ago, 4-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?

(...) Not completely true. There are other, albeit smaller, galleries, like 1000steine.de and the fbtb.net customs page. There are also major Lego builders who don't post to Brickshelf--for instance, I don't think that Eric Harshberger posts there. (...) (21 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.general)