 General / 39723
Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:22:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:

Granted, Kevin owns the site, but the community uses it. Kevin can do with
it what he wants; but the _respectful_ thing to do would be to dialogue with
the users over any major changes or issues before implementing them. If ads
are forced onto BrickShelf users, it will lose a tremendous amount of value
for me (and my guess is for a lot of others), and he will lose traffic.

Seriously? I mean, you thought the ads earlier this year for stuff like
BrickFest(sm) and Milton Train Works(tm) were so bad that Brickshelf lost a
"tremendous amount of value" for you??

Well, yes and no there. I'm definitely in favor of both BrickFest(sm) and
Milton Train Works(tm), so those I didn't mind so much (they still got
filtered through WebWasher). I guess what alarmed me was Kevin's statement
in this post about "corporate sponsors."

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=39673

See my reply:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=39689

I'm not 100% objected to advertising. I just want to be in control of when
and where I see it. Though I see its usefulness, I'm sick of it being
everywhere. ESPECIALLY on the web. It does have its place. [1]
Advertisements, underwriting, and product placement, combined with corporate
lies, monoculture, and lack of intellectual stimulation is why I don't watch
television.

So, if BrickShelf were to take on "corporate sponsors," [2] it would lose
tremendous value for me.

Its my opinion that community sites, though inevitably they will need to
finance their services somehow, should keep advertising directly related to
the LEGO community, and should keep their advertising down to products that
directly correspond with the development of the hobby.

Either people will find their own places to host images, or something
friendlier will pop up in its place.

Unless it's getting free bandwidth it will sooner or later face the same
problems, I would suspect.

Sure.

My big point is, unless Kevin provides an alternative to viewing advertising
[3] to pay for BrickShelf, which has been repeatedly requested by more
people than just me, [4] BrickShelf will lose its value for me. A free site
with advertising is no problem for me, as long as they let me pay to filter
them, or unless my web filters can successfully filter the ads. In the case
of BrickShelf, were an alternative paid service available, I would pay the
fee rather than simply filtering the ads, to show my support for the
community site.

-Tim

[1] But, I have little to no tolerance for lifestyle brands, advertisements
that play on emotions instead of (honestly) informing, etc.

[2] Aside from TLC or LEGO hobby-related companies promoting specific
products (NOT lifestyles!)

[3] ESPECIALLY if those ads go outside of the community.

[4] I haven't seen him acknowledge or address these requests, either.