 General / 37110
Re: Lego and Disney, a continued future?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:12:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Thuma writes:
In lugnet.general, Joe Meno writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Thuma writes:

First, the Disney toy monorail SUCKS!
well, it doesn't suck...it's not as good as it could be.:)

Agreed, an over-reaction on my part, but what potential.

and a good point...a Cinderella Castle was proposed, but was ruled too
expensive to produce. If there was more support to the Monorail in terms of
little figures and buildings, popularity would have been much higher.

A former employee and an insider both told me that staff was down considerably
and what mostly remains are people that oversee the independent contractors
Disney highers to do the design work.

Unfortunately, I'm not too surprised with that. Independent contractors are
cheaper. And they don't need employment benefits.

Of course, these days it seems knowledge is greatly depended on the person you
talk to and not the "truth."

Very true. My information is two years old, and is perhaps way outdated.

The person did mention the Hasbro deal and apparently, Hasbro will take over
the exclusive design work for toys and "some" collectibles. Most collectibles
will still be handled through (insert forgotten group name here).

ooohhh boooyyyy...can't wait to see what 'they' come up with. Definitely no
Lego products:( Although Lego does have a presence in the Downtown Disney
locations. Just no real input for unique Disney-themed items.

I guess its like any major corporation. Disney is finding a way to cut
non-profitable departments. They looked at the Design Group and saw a revenue
loosing group and not a revenue winning group and decided to trim where they
could. The agreement with a manufacturer that has a record in toy development
probably looked like a great idea. No one told the Disney executives that the
design group could count the porfits generated by the sales of those products
at the souvenier shops. (all conjecture... I don't know what Disney or any
employee was thinking. It's all based on my tainted view of large corporations
that in years of doing poorly provide CEO's with giant paychecks and bonuses
for laying off workers and lying to share holders about true profits and
revenues). 8{

I pretty much agree with that point. The accounteers at the Disney Company
really need to get off the short-term profit outlook and look at the 'big
picture'.

As for executives and such...a point to ponder. An accountant at Disney should
get about $40,000 a year (wild guess for the sake of argument). A worker at
Disney World will top out after 5 years at the 35,000/year bracket, with
entrance wages probably at $12,000 ($6ish/hour, but more accurately 5.75/hour).
So one accountant= 2 to 3 1-3year Diseny World employee.

What's more important, service or beancounting?

Joe

Todd

Todd