 General / 30607
30606  |  30608
Subject:
Gate of the present book (translation)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 15:44:58 GMT

Hi,

after almost a year and some presure from Frank F. ;-)(I had is book for that
long) I finally completed the translation of the book.

It is not an integral translation, I don't want to have problem with copywrite
law, Todd having to delete my post and it would take me another year.

The page with the most interest for lego where almost translated integraly but
page about each gate are only a resume. They are in case poem, questions but in
most case artistic text describing the authors mind, those text are difficult
to translate and ouside my possibility of exact translation.

if you have some specific question, fell free to ask, I'll do wathever is in my
possibility but again do not ask for integral translation of the entire book.
and also do it before Thursday, after that the book will be on it's way to
Frank.

Martin

The gate of the present

Page 3 introduction: The LEGO bricks exist since 1949, they can be use to build
cars, boats, and planes but the evidence is to build a house. The LEGO
assortments is always increasing witch mean that to building possibility
increase. So one day, it as to be try to match architecture.

In 1984, 10 Netherlander architects design a villa and they were build at 1:20
scale with LEGO bricks for the "Architectuur in LEGO" exposition. In 1985, the
experience was renewed with 30 architects from 10 western Europe country for
the "L'architecture est un jeu… magnifique" in Paris.

"The gate of the present" witch was inaugurated December 11 1992 in
Francfort-sur-le-man is a logical suite of the 2 preceding.  This time it was
done with architect from 32 countrys. Those creation were build in Danemark by
LEGO workers.

Gates are excellent architecture symbols. They reprensent transition from one
situation to an other. They show not only present and past but also what we
expect from the future.

Page 5 thru 28 is a discussion about gates in ancient civilization to modern
time.

Page 30 This gate is to represent the light at the end of the tunnel. White was
chosen because it represent purity, chastity and perfection. Since it is made
from all the color, it also have all the possibility.

Paqe 34 1821-24 construction of the "bugator" on the "wiener ringstrasse", on
the line between museem and the "hofburg"

1934 extension and renovation  in a monument for Austrian heroes.

1991 our idea, defeat history and consider the gate as a "base"

1992 storing and dismantling

1993 the building erea.

Page 38 it is a thought about the signification of the gate of the present that
it is more a bridge between the past, present and future and it is the result
of man kind over its environment.

Page 43 Again, another text from the designer explaining is view that a gate is
a way to communicate and the various aspect and detail of his design.

Page 47  A city is a 3 dimensional object, thus urbanism as to be done in order
to keep the beauty of the land. It also explain that Montreal situation with
Mont-Royal make it easier to do. This gate represent Square Victoria, down town
, where subway and under ground highway meet. This gate is the crossing point
in a urban society.

Page 51 a series of though and question about time and space.

Page 55 a text that say that with 3 different face we can do thousand of
different composition of shade and light. The gate is like a box that when open
will bring us to a future exiting and disturbing.

Page 59 glass wall of  "place du parlement" in Paris. Followed by a poem about
that little building

Page 63 another essaie about the role of the gate, the gate is not breakpoint
but a symbol that initiate a transition and you can choose witch ever way you
want for the future.

Page 67 A gate can be used for protection or can signify a border between 2
situation. Some gate will last for ever while their signification maybe lost
for ever.

Page 71 A gate is a way between 2 place or 2 situation. But time can't be
divided in 2. Technology build a new nature by leveraging distance.

Page 74  The gate is made by different element with a maze of stair case and
path in the middle. In this maze we will find our way between stress,
determination and choice.

Page 79. a marble column build on a mountain supported by a steel structure
build in a lake

Page 83 a building made like a house design to be a reference point in the
neighborhood.
(On page 84, the small picture in the middle is upside down)

page 87  Tokyo is the city of chaos without an identity. The author did a gate
to give access to Tokyo so he did a lot of gate within is city.

Page 91 this gate is supposed to be a crossing point between 2 time-space
location. It is build with a temple, high heel, a wing and a man with is arm
spread apart.

Page 95 in order to discover more about this building that was found, some
architect visited every corner of this structure and got lost inside of it,
only when they understood the complexity of this building that they found a way
to exit via the basement and reach the other side of the gate and the knew that
they had conquer the future.

Page 99 version 1. you're walking on the surface of routine and accidentally
fall in a canyon, you're in a dark alley. Sky is over your head and wheel of
hell in front of you. If you want to go on, you have to sit in a chair and go
in the deep ground, high in the sky and back in the canyon. You now have break
the routine and you can continue your way.

Page 103 digest in one moment, present, past and future are one. It is hard to
distinguish one from the other, we wish you can understand.

Page 107  the gate of the future hold the earth, gate of the past is upside
down and gate of the present hold both of them.

Page 111 a gate separate 2 thing, exterior and interior, warm and cold. The
gate only separate man from each other, it doesn't reach need for all human or
change there behavor.  Present is the smallest time, you can live it only from
second to second.

Page 115 a poem about cenotaph

Page 119 this gate is along a river and the river take us thru the gate. It is
made with 24 light source horizontally and 60 verticaly. A layer  12  by 30.
Total of 1440 ligth point equal the number of minutes in a day.

Page 123 The gate of the present express permanent and transient. There is no
preoccupation about architecture. This building was raised so it can be seen
from every side with 2 neutral colors, black outside and white inside.

Page 126 in middle age city where surrounded by wall, we had to go thru a gate
to enter the city. Now we can enter a city from top, under or interior. This
gate is made like a croquet game arc.

Page 131 Lego bricks are not building material for kid only.

Lego element are creative and can be use by anyone and for everything depending
on number of brick, personality and age … and of course skill of the creator.

Lego element have some limitation, like every other building material. It is
the challenge that a creator have to exploit and dodge.

In the last 10-15 years professional used those LEGO element for painting,
sculpture, architecture. This phenomenon gave birth   in the 80' to a serie of
individual project and exposition like "Architectuur in LEGO" and
"L'architecture est un jeu… maginfique" .

After all those project, Lego collaborate with Albert Roskam & Co in Rotterdam.
Text and sketch where received in Billund from architect, after that, Lego
builder began putting those idea together witch was not easy. The 11 builders
take that challenge with joy, in some case they had to interpret the ideas,
something different then copying thing for store display.