 General / 27880
Re: Is Lego Art, or what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 05:35:20 GMT

Do you make things you consider art?

Somewhat - I try to model things. The appearance aspect I consider to
involve artistic talent (or lack of :)

Do you consider your Lego creations artworks?

not really, again I prefer the term modeling

Do you call yourself an artist?

no, but I feel I have some artistic ability

Are you a professional in a creative field such as graphic or industrial
design or architecture?

Yes. I am a design engineer which IMO involves creativity. The thing I
most enjoy about Lego is the ability form complex objects from a set of
simplistic elements / rules. I build finite element models for a living
as an engineer, so maybe creation from discritization is just part of my
inherent nature.

If both building and playing with Lego is a creative pursuit, how does it
differ from other creative pursuits such as painting or sculpting?

I don't see much difference, but my friends often wonder about me....

I tried plastic kit models. While they certainly required skill, I never
felt they had the same level of independent artistic expression as Lego.
(kit modelers feel free to argue here)

For me, Lego seems to be a perfect balance between art and design. I am
sure other hobbies like woodworking are similar, but I don't have the
proper working facilities and or tools to pursue them at this stage in
my life.

--
J. Spencer Rezkalla
http://www.mich.com/~srezkall