 General / 19226
Re: legos biggest mistake is...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:07:45 GMT

I started to say this last night... and decided against it... though the
comment above makes me want to retype it.... I know parents have to
shield their kids from some things in this world... though I'd like to
know HOW you get through a shopping trip to the mall.. or grocery
store... or go to the movies with your kids??? do you put blinders on
them? or make them wear paper bags on their heads??? I'm sorry.. though
I've seen more skin on kids while walking around the mall, then I see on
those little minifigs... I won't even go into the body piercings.... I
would much rather explain to a child about the human body and it's
nothing to be ashamed of then answer their questions of what's hanging
out of someone's nose...

    I guess than it's a case of, "Do I want my children to think it's normal
and socially appropriate to display a good portion of their anatomy to the
public.  If a child roleplays those toys, and that's the intent, then it's my
business as a parent to choose toys that don't encourage that.  (As for me and
my house, we don't consider that appropriate or normal)
    I think if you monitor the type of toys your child receives, legos
included, and don't entertain yourselves with deviant videos, talk shows,
movies, etc, you can raise decent children in a somewhat indecent world
despite the Cosmo in the shopping aisles.  Then if communication lines are
open, when a child sees "weirdness," they will probably ask about it, and you
can explain that God made Adam and Eve coverings in the garden for a reason.
These people don't agree with God's point of view.  Then you can reaffirm the
importance of dressing classy not trashy.
    I hope you don't see people in the mall wearing less than the islander
babe.  Depending on where you live, that could warrant arrest. :O)

I think that says more about the people with that worry than
it
does about the 'figs themselves.

Agreed (especially with regard to my chastity belt crack...I don't think too
many kids would go there :-).  Again, feel free to call me a prude.

Will

Lego Beach Department of Emergency Services
www.crosswinds.net/~hokie

Just my .2 bricks worth!

--
Keep on Bricken'