 General / 19072
Re: Treasure chest question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:48:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Allison writes:
Hello, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum...Can someone explain to me
they why and when of the different treasure chests? slots in back, smaller
pegs to hold the top on, black, brown, etc? thanks! scott salliso1@san.rr.com

Well, the treasure chest piece first arrived in the mid-80's. I don't remember
seeing them until 1987 (6066 Forestmen's Hideout), but according to the DB, the
first occurance of them was in 1985 in 6011 (Black Knight's Treasure), and in
1986 in 6023 (Maiden's Cart).

Oddly enough, this means that the 1st treasure chest released was in light
grey! (a still-sought-after color for treasure chests, since it was only
available in that one set.) Later, the well-known brown chest spread to more of
the Castle series, and in 1989 it spread to the new Pirate theme (the two most
treasure-laden themes)

Then, in 1992 the chest changed a bit. Two slots were added on the back of the
base of the treasure chest. Why? I don't know. Perhaps this allowed for a more
durable 'clip' for the top of the chest... As for smaller pegs to hold the top
on, that's probably also when that happened, although I must admit I never
noticed that myself...

Anyway, spin the clock to 1998, and I *think* (I could be wrong) that's when we
saw the 1st black treasure chest (namely 5988 Pharoah's Forbidden Ruins). Pink
treasure chests also appeared in Belville, but they're slightly different
design, I believe-- measuring 3x4 instead of 2x4 (I don't actually own any,
though, so I'm only hazarding a guess on that)

DaveE