 General / 18304
Re: UN Refugee Posters: How to Repay Them?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 21:40:39 GMT

My posters arrived yesterday-- 4 LEGO and several non-LEGO human rights posters
(BTW, thanks for posting the link, Eric!).  Because I do not plan to use the LEGO
posters in a classroom (actually, I do teach, but not currently, and anyway I teach
math so it's not really relevant), I feel, like many others here, that I should pay
for the posters somehow, and I have found three options:

http://www.unhcr.ch/youhelp/youhelp.htm  This is where you can donate directly to
the UN Human Rights Committee.  Because it is in Switzerland, and after reading the
thread about international payments, I looked for an option in the U.S.

http://www.unicef.org  is UNICEF's homepage-- they accept donations in the U.S.

http:www.supportunicef.org/cards/more.html has cards, stationery, etc. that one can
buy to support UNICEF-- no LEGO themed ones yet though.

I would prefer to fund the Human Rights Committee since, after all, they're the
ones who sent the posters, but would it cost $25.00 to transfer $25.00 to the Swiss
bank? Would it cost UNHCR $25.00 to cash a $25.00 personal check from the U.S.?  In
that case, would it be better to contribute $50.00 to UNICEF instead?

Maggie C.

John Rudy wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:

That may be true if you need all 5, but you can get 4 of them straight from
the UNHCR.  Here's a relevant web page:

  http://www.unhcr.ch/teach/tchhr/tchhr.htm

This was found by a simple web search.  I only have one of the posters
(thanks, Ray!), but I think I'll buy the other three.  NOTE: your money goes
to a very good cause at the UNHCR.

<snip>

I just got my posters today, and ALL 5 came! not just the 4 it
describes, so order yours now, they are wonderful pieces to add
to a collection, mine are goin' up tonight!!! Also, you get
many other refugee posters, not just the lego ones, so think
about donating to a local school!