 General / 13533
Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:55:44 GMT

teyyareci (Selçuk) wrote in <Fo7r18.F39@lugnet.com>:

Mike Reed <mreed@csciences.com> wrote in message
Out of curiosity, am I one of the few who buy the sets for the sets. I • don't
typically build to many MOCs, and if I do it is from an old carrying
case • full
of misc. pieces. Also, I store all my sets in their original boxes
with instructions.  Am I in the minority here?

Mike

I don't know about the "minority" part, but although all the sets are
part packs to me, I mostly don't buy a set if the featured model does
not fit my taste, and I always built the main model before mixing it to
my other parts. Actually, the procedure is as follows:

1.Buy the set
2.Built it as soon as possible (if the set is not a second copy of an
existing one)
3.Let it stay as a model till finding enough time to taking it apart for
inventory
4.Let it stay as taken apart in a temporary box till finding enough time
for sorting
5.Mix it with other parts

Selçuk

I do exactly the same, with the addition of:

2a. Decide, if it's cool enough, to leave it up for display for
a long time, possibly never breaking it up.  (This becomes an
exercise in optimizing shelf space.)

My first copy of any set is for building as that set and then
breaking down into parts.  Any extra copies are just for parts
and I've never built the basic sets from those.

My guess is that Mike is not in the minority for buying sets for the
sets, but may well be in the storing them in their boxes and not using
most sets as sources of parts for MOCs.

  -r'm