 General / 13314
Re: NFPA article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:31:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
James Powell wrote:

Reading (on my spare) the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association)
Journal, there is a article on the Mall of America, with a description of
the sprinkler system, including some comments on the Lego store, and how it
is specally protected, due to the ABS and smoke concerns from it.

Neat little bit from a technical stand point.

James Powell

I bet. And it worked so WELL, from what I heard, that they dumpstered
hundreds of RIS's after their fire. :-)

I got the impression (from James' post, not the article - which I haven't
read) that the special protection was to prevent smoke *from* burning ABS, not
to prevent smoke *on* ABS.

I know, just from safety training(1), that some varieties of plastic give off
some very toxic fumes when hot/burning.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1:I work at Dow chemical.