 Gaming / 1166
Re: The Pirate Game at BrickFest 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:21:03 GMT

Benjamin Medinets wrote:

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
Well, I didn't take many pictures, and I don't think we had a web cam in
the room, so I won't be able to do a turn by turn re-cap of the game, so
I'll just free associate about the game...

<beaucoup de snippage...> :)

It looked like Larry didn't have a lot of luck this year... ;)

The game looked very fun from what I saw of it.  I was tempted to join but
was "rebuffed" when I was told that I couldn't use Imperials or use Islanders.

I am not really a big fan of using "scurvy knaves" ... maybe next year
I can help Frank with controlling a NPC ship or the island of natives... :)

I'm sorry to have rebuffed you. I have been trying to figure out just
how to use non-pirates in the game. There needs to be some additional
background work done. I am also afraid that such additional background
detail may be an additional load on an already overloaded GM.

This years game was the first I didn't feel overwhelmed as a single GM,
since I am finally comfortable with the rules, many of the other players
are also comfortable, and I greatly simplified the island interaction.

One problem is coming up with interesting goals for non-pirates which
are reasonably balanced. Clearly, the ships can be balanced. I came up
with a quick and dirty way to run the islander catamaran which basically
made it equivalent to a cutter, though a different damage table would
give it more flavor. But what is the goal of islanders? They aren't
going to capture pirate ships and take them in to port to sell them. One
idea I have is that for each European (pirate or imperial) ship
captured, the islander captain would gain more followers and more
islander boats.

I would love to have merchants be a viable playing position, but I'm
just not sure how to set up the economic rules to work. Traditionally
also, the merchants have been a way to capture a bigger ship, so how
would one play that into the equation? On the other hand, someone
clearly functioning as a co-GM could easily handle merchant ships. A
simple table or card drawing system could determine where a new merchant
enters the fray, what size it is, and what it's destination is, or it
could be left totally up to the co-GM to decide.

Imperials have similar problems with goals. They can't just sail around
blowing up any ship in sight. They should be setting sail in reaction to
increasing levels of piracy.

Frank