 Fun / Crafts / 9
8  |  10
Subject:
Glass Globes for Underwater Displays
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun.crafts
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 19:32:56 GMT

A year or so ago, I was buying garden supplies online when I came across this
item. A handblown glass aquarium for display of flowers. It has a rubber seal
(removable for reuse) that the whole thing sits on in a black plastic tray.
The end result is a heavy sphere which produces interesting optical effects of
its contents.

I bought a few for gifts to gardeners and one for myself to try putting a LEGO
model inside. I had been thinking along the lines of a temporary snow globe,
but
then I decided to build a sunken ship with divers, skeleton, treasure, etc. The
final assembly had to be done within the sphere, as the model as pretty big.
(like building a ship in a bottle.) Burping the last bits of air out of the
globe was challenging, but with practice became easier. It was a very fun
project and really made an unusual display. Unfortunately I don't have any
pictures of it.

I gave one of these globes to a LEGO-enthusiast friend who put it to use
without
rubber seal or water. I hadn't thought of this and was impressed with the way
it
turned out. I think it was a tiny castle he built. With the glass globe over
it,
it looked like a miniature world in a crystal ball. So at its simplest use, it
made an elegant, easy to clean, dust cover.

Each globe costs $15 or 2/$25 from the Gardener's Supple Company in Burlington,
VT. They're online at http://www.gardeners.com/

Here's a link directly to the product:

http://www.gardeners.com/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=10263&mscssid=
302E1LN6MXS12KCG00AKH8LWJH6GC735