 Events / BrickFest / 3922
Re: BrickFest™ 2007 - NXT-only Sumo competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 23:57:24 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickfest, David Schilling wrote:
   BrickFest™ 2007 LEGO Mindstorms Robot Competition

NXT-only Sumo

The Challenge:

Build a Sumo robot using only the parts in one standard NXT set. (Only set #8527; sorry, not the education version, set #9797.)

Dave,

We just had a sumo contest last weekend in Fort Wayne - the Northeast Indiana Robot Games. The stock class that used to allow parts from only 1 RCX based Mindstorm kit was changed to allow the NXT to compete against the RCX. NXT based robots had to be built from a single NXT based kit (set 8527) and were limited to the use of 2 motors to even the field.

As it turned out, the RCX based robots were competitive with the NXT based robots.

I suggest that you allow RCX based robots in the competition so you don’t limit participation if someone hasn’t been able to purchase an NXT kit.

Just my 2 cents :)

Good luck, Bryan

Thanks for the suggestion, but this was carefully considered before the rules were drafted. If someone has an RCX and wants to enter a robot competition, they are very welcome to enter the Robotic Easter Egg Hunt http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=3870. While I’m sure that an RCX can compete decently against an NXT in sumo and possibly win, the NXT-only Sumo will remain NXT-only. It’s not a desire to be exclusive to someone who doesn’t have an NXT, but these are the rules that were chosen.

I’m hoping, by the way, to see some very interesting uses of that third motor in the NXT-only Sumo!

Future sumo events may explore the possibilities of the two systems against each other.

Perhaps you’ll attend BrickFest, and bring a sumo robot? If so, let me be the one to wish you good luck!

--
. David Schilling