 Events / BrickFest / 3346
    Whose angel sculpture was that? —Joe Strout
   There was a life-sized angel statue in the Sculpture room. I read the card, but failed to write down (or remember) the name of the builder. Does anyone know who that was, and how to contact him? I'd like to put a picture of it in BrickWiki (on the (...) (19 years ago, 19-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

        Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —Wayne R. Hussey
   (...) That Angel was created by David Winkler, who is also our NWBrickCon 2005 Art/Sculpture/Mosaic Coordinator. If you wish to contact him, fill out and send the "Contact Us" link at (URL) NWBrickCon> and we'll help you connect. Wayne (19 years ago, 19-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

        Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —Jordan Bradford
   (...) Wasn't that sculpture built as a test of some software he had written? I believe you give it a 3D model and it generates building instructions for you. (19 years ago, 19-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

        Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —David Winkler
   (...) Yup. I gave a talk on the software at Brickfest, "Automated Brick Layout" I posted the slides from that talk in my brickshelf folder: (URL) Please feel free to post photos. Thank you! -dw (19 years ago, 22-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

        Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —Jordan Bradford
   (...) I missed your presentation that day. How technical was it? You probably explained NP-complete briefly, and I'm guessing you didn't go into the computer science part of everything except what was necessary. I'm curious if you have a more (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

        Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —Timothy Gould
     (...) Oh me too! I wanted to ask but figured I might be the only one so I'm so happy you asked. I'd love to see a technical account, I'm particularly interested in the combinatorics of the problem (if any were considered too) but all of it is (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

         Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —Tommy Armstrong
     (...) What exactly is an ACM article. Sorry for my ignorance--but I for one have no problem exposing it. Tommy Armstrong (URL) (19 years ago, 27-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

         Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —Timothy Gould
     (...) I was only asking for the technical details and missed the ACM article bit in the original post, but I assume it refers to this ((URL) would seems a suitable home for a technical discussion about the work. That is just a guess though. Tim (19 years ago, 27-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

         Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —Jordan Bradford
     (...) Yes, the (URL) ACM> is the Association for Computing Machinery. It's the organization for computer science, computer engineering, software engineering, etc. professionals. The main publication, Communications of the ACM, is what I was (...) (19 years ago, 29-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

         Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —Timothy Gould
     (...) I think you've forgotten the big ones for physicists, Science and the Physical Review stable. To be honest, I've never heard of Annales de Physique, which might just mean it publishes outside my areas of interest. Tim (19 years ago, 29-Aug-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

        Re: Whose angel sculpture was that? —David Winkler
   (...) (URL) NP-complete> is a class of difficult problems in Computer Science. In general it's a problem too difficult to be solved exactly. A well-known example is the (URL) traveling salesman problem>. In my talk I sort of glossed over this. While (...) (19 years ago, 29-Aug-05, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)