 Events / BrickFest / 3346

Subject:
Whose angel sculpture was that?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:53:31 GMT

There was a life-sized angel statue in the Sculpture room. I read the card, but failed to write down (or remember) the name of the builder. Does anyone know who that was, and how to contact him?

I’d like to put a picture of it in BrickWiki (on the Sculpture page), but I need permission first.

Thanks,
- Joe

Re: Whose angel sculpture was that?
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Joe Strout wrote:
   There was a life-sized angel statue in the Sculpture room. I read the card, but failed to write down (or remember) the name of the builder. Does anyone know who that was, and how to contact him?

I’d like to put a picture of it in BrickWiki (on the Sculpture page), but I need permission first.

Thanks,
- Joe
That Angel was created by David Winkler, who is also our NWBrickCon 2005 Art/Sculpture/Mosaic Coordinator. If you wish to contact him, fill out and send the “Contact Us” link at NWBrickCon and we’ll help you connect.

Wayne

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Wayne R. Hussey wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickfest, Joe Strout wrote:
   There was a life-sized angel statue in the Sculpture room. I read the card, but failed to write down (or remember) the name of the builder. Does anyone know who that was, and how to contact him?

I’d like to put a picture of it in BrickWiki (on the Sculpture page), but I need permission first.

Thanks,
- Joe
That Angel was created by David Winkler, who is also our NWBrickCon 2005 Art/Sculpture/Mosaic Coordinator. If you wish to contact him, fill out and send the “Contact Us” link at NWBrickCon and we’ll help you connect.

Wayne

Wasn’t that sculpture built as a test of some software he had written? I believe you give it a 3D model and it generates building instructions for you.

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickfest, Wayne R. Hussey wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickfest, Joe Strout wrote:
   There was a life-sized angel statue in the Sculpture room. I read the card, but failed to write down (or remember) the name of the builder. Does anyone know who that was, and how to contact him?

I’d like to put a picture of it in BrickWiki (on the Sculpture page), but I need permission first.

Thanks,
- Joe
That Angel was created by David Winkler, who is also our NWBrickCon 2005 Art/Sculpture/Mosaic Coordinator. If you wish to contact him, fill out and send the “Contact Us” link at NWBrickCon and we’ll help you connect.

Wayne

Wasn’t that sculpture built as a test of some software he had written? I believe you give it a 3D model and it generates building instructions for you.

Yup.

I gave a talk on the software at Brickfest, “Automated Brick Layout” I posted the slides from that talk in my brickshelf folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/BrickFest2005/automatedbricklayout.pdf

Please feel free to post photos.

Thank you!

-dw

In lugnet.events.brickfest, David Winkler wrote:
[...]

I missed your presentation that day. How technical was it? You probably explained NP-complete briefly, and I’m guessing you didn’t go into the computer science part of everything except what was necessary. I’m curious if you have a more technical version of a presentation I could see -- I’d at least like to know how the lossy/lossless algorithms work in psuedo code. Also, is this subject worthy of an ACM article? That would be cool.

Thanks!

Re: Whose angel sculpture was that?
I missed your presentation that day. How technical was it? You probably explained NP-complete briefly, and I’m guessing you didn’t go into the computer science part of everything except what was necessary. I’m curious if you have a more technical version of a presentation I could see -- I’d at least like to know how the lossy/lossless algorithms work in psuedo code. Also, is this subject worthy of an ACM article? That would be cool.

Thanks!

Oh me too! I wanted to ask but figured I might be the only one so I’m so happy you asked. I’d love to see a technical account, I’m particularly interested in the combinatorics of the problem (if any were considered too) but all of it is interesting to me.

Tim

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Timothy Gould wrote:

I missed your presentation that day. How technical was it? You probably explained NP-complete briefly, and I’m guessing you didn’t go into the computer science part of everything except what was necessary. I’m curious if you have a more technical version of a presentation I could see -- I’d at least like to know how the lossy/lossless algorithms work in psuedo code. Also, is this subject worthy of an ACM article? That would be cool.

Thanks!

Oh me too! I wanted to ask but figured I might be the only one so I’m so happy you asked. I’d love to see a technical account, I’m particularly interested in the combinatorics of the problem (if any were considered too) but all of it is interesting to me.

Tim

What exactly is an ACM article. Sorry for my ignorance--but I for one have no problem exposing it.

Tommy Armstrong http://www.brickengraver.com

Re: Whose angel sculpture was that?