 Events / 920
919  |  921
Subject:
West Coast Lego Fan Convention - AKA BricksWest → BrickFest PDX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:33:35 GMT

This post intended to be read by all those interested in a west coast
convention.

My name is Todd S. Thuma, and I was a supporter of BricksWest as an event
coordinator and volunteer organizer of 2 successful BricksWest Conventions. I
live in Athens, Georgia and according to Yahoo! Maps this is 2235.5 miles away
from Carlsbad, CA.

Despite the distance, I played a role in organizing each of the last two
BricksWest conventions. The power of the Internet and modern communication
technologies, i.e. the PHONE, enable me to play a role. I have decided to
volunteer and play a role in the BrickFest PDX Convention. I will incur
additional expense and expenditures of time to support this initiative. I am
fortunate to have the time and money to afford this at this point in my life. So
I am happy to play a role for the benefit of others.

I have read many of the posts that people have placed on LUGNET in the last
several days concerning the end of the BricksWest Convention. I understand the
comments and I am glad you all are exercising your personal freedom and voicing
your opinion. If everyone followed the status quo, this would not be America.

I am saddened that people seem to forget that there is a difference between
anger and madness. I understand people being angry, especially when they do not
have all of the information they need to make an informed decision or opinion. I
do not understand the "madness" which is to say the insanity over the change in
this convention. Below I wish to share some information with those that are
willing to read on.

First, at each BricksWest Convention a session was held where participants and
organizers could discuss the next convention. At each convention, the idea of
moving the convention around from city to city would be an interesting strategy
to try. I will not go into the reasons for this because they have been covered
by others. So the idea of moving it from Carlsbad to Portland or some other city
was not a new idea, but one that had been discussed. If I remember correctly,
the idea of a different city was being discussed for BW04, but the organizers
were going to wait to discuss this between the end of the BW03 and the end of
BF03. While east coast convention will likely be BrickFest and will remain in
the same location each year, it may not remain the only convention on the east
coast. Currently, it is.

Second, Carlsbad has few hotels with conference space adequate to the growing
needs of BricksWest anyway. I all likely hood, BW04 would have been the last
time that the convention could have been logistically in Carlsbad. There are
simply not enough convention space opportunities close enough and at a
reasonable enough price to continue the convention there. There were over 200
people at BW03 and increase of attendance over BW02. With the addition of the
EXPO at BW03 at Legoland, there were several hundred children, adults, and
families that came through the multiple exhibits.

I for one am saddened at not being able to go to Legoland last year. Admittedly,
being able to go to the park was part of the attraction. Having the EXPO is also
part of the fun for me. BrickFest added the EXPO on Sunday this year and I think
it was a resounding success. The plan is to have a well advertized and published
EXPO event for BrickFest PDX with maybe (conservative estimate) 1000 in
attendance for the EXPO. This means that the public will have a chance to see
the creations of those that are attendees. I do not know why others come to the
convention, but part of it for me is having others see what I am able to make.

Third, lose the notion that the "BricksWest" title is the only possible name for
the west coast convention. The organizers of NWBrickCon decided to have one and
organize it themselves. They went and found the space to hold it. They set a
date. Soliciting people to organize and participate in the event was there next
step and they held a great convention. They even found a different name and a
date that didn't conflict with the other conventions.  I was not able to attend
and I was sorry about that, but there were conflicts in my schedule that
prevented me from participating and attending.

Anyone is welcome to organize their own convention. There is no rules that say
you can or cannot. First you must have the desire to organize one. You must find
a place to hold it. Set a date. Enter into a contract with a convention
facility. Find an insurance company to protect you from liability. Contact the
Lego Company for their support and participation. Identify a core group of
volunteers. Plan a schedule of events. Determine a fair price that people would
be willing to pay for the convention. Create a logo. Find a T-Shirt printer and
negotiate a price. Take registration. Identify some hotels that might be willing
to give a discount. Get some bricks engraved. And each one of these things take
weeks to identify, determine, and decided upon. Then you will have to keep after
everyone to follow through. It is really very easy! (SARCASM).

Fourth, get used to the idea that BrickFest PDX is going to happen in Portland,
Oregon on February 13th, 14th &15th. You can either be a part of it or not. The
decision to participate is yours. You have 6 months from now to plan and plot on
how to get there. There will be plenty to do and you will not be able to do
everything you want to do. Trust me!

I believe I can speak for all of the organizers currently pledged to coordinate
an aspect of the event when I say that anyone looking to organize or coordinate
some aspect of the event is welcome to do so. Please contact Steve Barile until
another member is appointed for this task. The more interest represented at
BrickFest PDX, the more people and the more fun.

Sincerly and with all due respect to everyone!

Todd

Play Well!