 Events / 2288
Re: SpringBrick: A hypothetical LEGO convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 05:37:27 GMT

In lugnet.events, Michael Huffman wrote:
   ... how do you run it so that you’re not profiting from other people’s MOCs?

This line of reasoning is driving me batty. Money taken in from a public display is not “profit”. As part of the overall budget it is simply revenue that helps pay for the event. If you don’t mind paying X amount more per event attendee then of course any public display could be free. I would simply rather have them contribute to the event financially which they are more than willing to do.

Now, if one of the expenses for an event is paying staff that’s fine. If people can volunteer their time that’s great too. Being paid to provide a service is not evil. Paying a friend or colleague to provide a service is not only not evil but I would say preferable to paying a stranger to do it.

And not to disagree totally with Janey, but I would not pay $500-1,000 dollars (my cost for going to the last BrickCon) if it was JUST to meet up with a bunch of AFOL’s and hang out at a bar. Without the MOC’s it would not be worth it and the public display is a valuable recruitment and promotional tool for a hobby I want to see grow.