 Events / 2293
Re: SpringBrick: A hypothetical LEGO convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:24:40 GMT

In lugnet.events, Scott Lyttle wrote:
   Mike,

This also sounds a little like the Food Network Challenges that you see from time to time.

It’s a hybrid of the two ideas. And yes, I watch too much Food Network. :)

   A little known fact about Iron Chef (at least the original Japanese version)...the secret ingredient wasn’t exactly “secret”...What happened was that the chefs were given a list of 5-10 items, and were told that one of those items would be the secret ingredient. Some of the items the chefs used were somewhat difficult to find, so narrowing down the list a little helped the producers obtain hard-to-find items for the chefs participating...

I think on some level, I knew this. And I’ve tossed out this builder’s challenge idea to a few friends here and there & I think this came out in discussion, to either disclose parts types & colors before the event to get contestants planning their MOCs or release the theme a week a head of time (instead of the day of the event) to get the creative juices flowing early.

   So, I would suggest that on Friday night, you submit a list of possible parts that could be used...and unveil the part at the start of the contest on Saturday..to make things real interesting!

Another idea thrown out was to give contestants a current list of parts available on in PaB inventory. Let contestants choose 25 or so parts from that inventory and the remaining 10 to 25 parts would be picked by the judges... maybe parts that aren’t currently available in PaB inventory.

   Some nice twists would be to have some small set(s) be handed to the teams somewhere during the contest..with the stipulation that a certain percentage has to be integrated into the creation.

Good idea.

   A real fun twist might be to call a brief stop, then have the teams rotate around to another team’s creation for 1 hour.. then rotate back... but the stipulation that one team cannot excessively deconstruct another team’s creation. (the thought is that perhaps one team can look at another team’s work and get some inspiration..)

Don’t know how this one would work. People get very personal about their work. This could cause more grief than fun.

Another idea was to give crews gift certificates and they had to go shopping in one hour for the parts that they need -- I think the logistics behind this would be nearly impossible to do, but it sounds like a fun idea. That way crews have to choose carefully & wisely what parts they need.

But I think on some level a few twists are good, but not too many. Whatever twist don’t get implemented the first year, can be implemented the next year.

   I wonder if you can get TLG to give you a K8, which event organizers would have the parts separated out evenly, and any odd parts would go into a “free for all” bin, which each team would be given something like a ziploc bag, and be allowed to go to at specified intervals (if the team so wished), or each team is given one visit per day to the “free for all” bin to get additional parts, and there is a time limit of say.. 2-5 minutes at the free-for-all bin...

I like this idea. Building out HRMC project, we found that being able to look out in my garage for a certain part from time to time came in real handy. A mixed box of random parts would be good to have. And this could be one of the stipulations for attendance; anyone who wishes to attend the event, but not complete must bring a small ziploc back of LEGO parts to throw into this “free for all” bin, ... ANY LEGO part. A great way to dump unwanted parts off to a worthy cause.

   And, any thoughts about doing something like this as an event at the LEGO store in Disney? That way, any AFOL’s bringing family along would allow significant other/kids to see parts of Disney if they are bored watching mom/dad/brother/sister building...

Yes, that’s the goal. 2 days building, 2 days running around the parks with friends and family. The two public days would be in front of the LEGO store in Downtown Disney, but contestants would be encouraged to spend time with friends and family during those two public days. Another idea that would be great would be to work out a way to get discount park tickets for those two public days for event attendees...

--Mike.