 Events / 1658
1657  |  1659
Subject:
BrickFest 2005 Keynotes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:23:45 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Posted for Larry P.  Please forgive spelling mistakes... I'll be posting an .MP3
file of the notes sometime later....

Keynote presentation notes

Joergen Vig Knudstrup

focus of talk is where LEGO is going.

LEGO is going through a survival plan, which is very serious. Talk about how
LEGO plan to revitalize the company

headlines:
- What is the essence of LEGO, the core, what is it all about
- How do we view the future, and what is the role for LEGO in it
- The journey underway, what should you expect to see, what's going to happen
and what will it be like

The essense of LEGO

there is a destiny to a company that has been in existance for more than 70
years, and you cannot run away from that destiny, it is not completely the
companie's decision, if it does not ring true iwth the global audience, you
cannot go there.

- The word LEGO means things. Plastic interlocking bricks, not just our product,
despite our efforts
- the brick sets the company a part. the brick sits in a system, everything fits
together. It is like software or a language or a system. everything ties
together and you can build endlessly. Honestly, at heart, no one (else?) has
provided that to the world. So the system of brick is fundamental to what is
this company

Over the last 15 years, the LEGO brand has been strechted, put on a lot of other
things, bikes, stereos etc. But that is not the focus. We will not continue to
stretch, we weill go deeper into bricks and system, not in to stretching... If
you are theoretical you have already thought about systems and networks, once
you are in a system, if you are in the system, there is an interconnect (N@)
like cell phoines. If you are on the same system you can connect, you can form
networks. the more there are the more valuable it is.

THinking about LEGO we beleive it is the platform for the type of play we are
all about. So the system of users is the third element of what LEGO is about.
Brick, System, system of users. WE are the system of users. the company is
amazed by what the core is and what it has achieved. We beleive that the core is
not those at BF, those that use LUGNET, or FLL, or the LEGO club. But the real
community is those unregistered users further out, in outer circles (BF
attendees at the core, etc)... there are at least 2M we know of, but proibably
2x, 5x, even 10x that many people who feel the are in that community. they would
rather do more lego than switch systems.

So to us the community is veyr important. If the community starts falling apart,
the tempurature at the core is going down, that to us is a signal that what we
are is falling apart too. So we are pleased an honored to be here, thanks for
asking us to be here

Finally we have learend that this brand means a lot to us, we get letters world
wide. We ask why? We hope it has little or nothing to do with TV advertising.
(well, we've never spent much on it!). we think the appeal is emotional, the
appeal of building with bricks. It does things for you when you build, for the
builder, for the family, for the community. So we have a heritage, we build on
that emotional appeal, that enablement of buidligg creating, realising fantasy.
So we want to guard and nurture that.

The brand, teh trust, the quality, the responsibility we have to our
users/community

brick, system, commuinity, and our heritage, our brand name

So... what is the journeyt we are going to take? to survie, to thrive,

TO build on that core
More community, more bricks in the systme, more trust in the brand and the
quality. We are not goin got walk away from that level of quailty, we want to
build oin it, not stray. It is important to us to be clear about identity
because we have went throiugh a deep financial crisis. that fcauses you to ask,
are you doing the right thing, is gthere a future in that? We look at trends.

We hear over an over that kids want more violent play that they are measured
aginst video games against TV. When you listen to those trends, that kids have
less time, focuse on 3R ,n ot creative. So it is easy to go down that route, to
go quick build. But the direction to take in the future is to go across that
trends. We are not a toy for eveyrone, we are a toy that is a bou tthe lego way
of playing, of being creative. We will try to navigage against those trends and
maybe play a bit in that space but we must remain true to what we are not
becaome what others want us to be.

It is important ot be clear about that. We went through a restrucuter, cost
cutting, paying off loans, selling off non strategic assets. The partk sale is
strategic, we are partners with fam ent. comp

we cut 25% of our cost, 20% in 9 months... not pleasant for any manager, we
written off assets, still struggling with restoring profitabilty, crucial to
survival

We are not done, there are further major changes. ALl toy company are
struggling. Even mattel, if it were not for declinaing usd, they would be in
decline. Hasbro says the same thing. they say they cannot grow/ survive. So we
are not goin g to do what they are trying, to find trends and rid them. We are
going to go a different way

The toy places are all closing, KB, Zany, TRU, FAO.... all are going down. We
need to reorg how we go to market. We are trying toi grow ways to sell directly
to consumers. Impofrtant adjustment

That' sjust sales/mktg /.... How do you produce? what is the setup. What about
globalization? Most elections are about that, US, Europe, all concerned about
china. we used to do box edsigns in Billund. Now we do it it in china,
indonesia, etc. It's enabled, with ohone, email, net. 10x to 20x cheaper to do
box designs in thired world. So we will have to work across the globe, cheapest
tech possible,. that means hcanges within the group.... loss of jobs in Europe.
We have told our emplpoyees bluntly that there is change coming and the future
is that they will not all have jobs and what the decisions are. Somtimes they
change productivity to stave off this change but we cannot change how
globalization works

The final change area is less tractable , to chanvge what we do. No moving to
comsumer electr4onicis, travel, bikes, MP3 players, etc. you wil be doing
bricks. but you still need to be innovative!!!

So far what we have done is the easy stuff... closing plants moving jobs is
tractable. Solving the new demand and what we are going to invent is deep and
big and very hard. Biggest challenge for the company! Eveyrone thinks you are
done, there are no themes left to exxplore. Then you realise you have only just
started.

So I challenge you, where is it coming from. I want you to ask, to challeng us,
to be inspired back., We think inovation will come from a dialog with the
community. who buys, who uses, who loves it, how do they use it?

We want peole to say this is brand new yet completey wihtin the system

Questions from the audience

Scott Lyttle:
what are you doing as far as trains age 4-7 and girls 4-7 ???
A: we find it hard to have a strong presence in NA in the preschool segment. IN
EU we are reviatlising Duplo. We are testing with Tthe Tank in preschool. The
lego explore train line was too overengineered, too complex. maybe we did too
much. it is so complex that the kids would get more benefit from a simpler, less
expensive polatform. So the strategy is to make it less and simpler, and tye it
in to LegoVille and duplo figs.

Scott again" but that is good for preschool. not for 4-7... what is the gap
fill?
A: Duplo can go beyond 4+... fisher price geo trax goes beyond jusgt 5. We have
seen Duplo go to 5 or 6 maybe not 7. I don't htin kwe are going to produce a
train to close the duplo system gap... we will not build on the 4+ Junior
platform. WE are pushing system younger instead. We want to extend up and system
down

As for girls; difficult question. In scandanavia we thrive with Belville.
Perhaps that's due to penetration of LEGO. Parents buy belville beacuse the
parents loive it. In DK BElville is the single biggest sellin gline (since there
are so many different boy's lines). We are going to continue to appeal that way.
40-50% of duplo is also bought for girls. So continue on the classic line

Kevin Clague:
How much do you look back at legends, space legends, classic castle, etc.
A: we are looking to the past. Our srategy is a mix of tradition and renewal.
KKK tried to facilitate this 10 years ago and it may not have executed
correctly. There is a need for new users to have a fresh look (without studs,
fancy sets, etc) but there is a big demand that we look more realistic. We want
to maintain the classic iconicly lego in primary colors but balance that need.
Technic has been relauhced. Look atht ecrane flap. We have went back to flap
box. As a company we had lost faith in Technic but in germany it is in triple
digit growth... so going back is good

Rich (on behalf of gary Istok, his LUGNET question)
(9 different window types let you make many window styles, todays windows don't
match, not enough pieces in different colors... "can anything be done?")

A: JVK - good question. Prehistory on system and elements. 2-3 years ago, we
counted the number of elements that were active. There were 15K different ones
(including color). My training was economist, so was concerned with investment
in al those colors and shapes, very expensive to manufacture, and logistically
you can't make a set if you are missing one. 15K elements is logistically a
nightmare. Later it dawned on me how it destroyed the experience. Our strategy
is to bring it down to 7K... we are at 8K now. We think that iwll improve the
platform. For eaxmple, tires, we are the worlds biggest producer of tires. That
scares me actually. We are going to go to new tyre designs where they are all
compatible, fewer hub sizes???...

Can't promise veyrhtin will fit (we like studless!) but I prmose you more
systeml, more focus on interchange.

Michael Tygh?:
New bug in MS software, and is unspoorted. still sold as new. Is there going to
be updates, what is the future
A (from another person): Sorry about hte bug. that's a mistake. But 1 or 2 years
ago there was a misunderstanding, some bad pr by us. It has been on the market
since 1998, and we have seen a lot happen there. We are looking at what it takes
to continue to suport this brand. we canpt give details but we are loking in to
what to do

Q: any possibility of getting involved in beta testing new Mindstorms?