 Education / * (-5)
Subject:
LEGO Education changes owners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu, lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2013 08:15:29 GMT

LEGO Education changes owners

By Andrew Nash
The Morning Sun
May 17, 2013

PITTSBURG, KS - While it may seem like a major change, business will continue as usual for LEGO Education employees in Pittsburg.

As part of an announcement Wednesday, the LEGO Group is buying Pitsco’s share of their joint venture in LEGO Education and entering into a service agreement between the two companies for many of the services related to LEGO Education.

“We are sorry to see the LEGO Education joint venture as we know it come to an end, but we are excited about the future of Pitsco and our new partnership with the LEGO Group,” said Harvey Dean, Pitsco CEO. “Very little will change in services we provide to more than 8 million students each year. Pitsco will be positioned to better focus efforts on the K-12 education market in the U.S. and its broadening markets internationally.”

Confused? Here’s the longer version: LEGO Group and Pitsco have had a joint venture in LEGO Education since 1997, but LEGO Group is now buying Pitsco’s 49 percent ownership effective January 1, 2014.

“North America is LEGO largest market for education,” said Pitsco President Lisa Paterni. “It’s gorown through the partnership to be their largest market. They wanted to be closer to their market and be better leveraged in North America.”

The second portion is that LEGO Group and Pitsco have entered into a service agreement that will see LEGO Education products for North America shipped out of and serviced through Pitsco’s facilities. LEGO Group will purchase warehousing, order entry, customer service, technical support, purchasing, graphics production and educator insights from Pitsco. The business and operations functions for LEGO Education will still be delivered by Pitsco employees in Pittsburg. To sum, the logistics end of LEGO Education will continue being provided by Pitsco.

However, all 28 LEGO Education North America sales and marketing staffers now working for Pitsco will be offered jobs in the new LEGO Education North America company as potential employees of the LEGO Group. Paterni said that it will be a little bit strange, sad and different for Pitsco to change roles, but that they are happy to continue in partnership with the LEGO Group.

“It’s a change in the fact that we had an impact and a voice in the joint venture, and now we won’t,” Paterni said. “We felt we impacted millions and millions of students because we had a voice as an owner. Although nobody will be losing their jobs, there will be a difference since we’ll be providing a service. We’re happy to be a part of being able to service teacher and schools. We’ll continue to provide great service in the days ahead, but it will be sad because we won’t be able to be as big a part of it as wee have been.” Current LEGO Education North America President Stephan Turnipseed will take on a new role in business development and strategic partnerships for the LEGO Group while a new president is projected to be on board in August.

From: MorningSun.net

LEGOEducation.us

Pitsco.com

-end of report-

Subject:
Is it normal that my local FLL knows nothing about AFOLs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:02:40 GMT

OK, so I got roped into going to a meeting of a fledgling Robotics League in
Orange County, California. They invited me because one of the founders of the
League knew I was into Lego. There were several FIRST and FLL coaches,
mentors,and club organizers from other areas of SoCAL present. The idea was to
use their expertise to help start up new teams in my area. But while there was
plenty of talk about involving local schools, afterschool programs, churches,
etc. no one had any idea ADULTS were into this stuff.

Huh? I've never been involved with FLL before, and I've been out of the AFOL
scene entirely for years now, but I thought AFOL groups and FLL were intimately
connected. When I told these people there were internantional conventions, LUGs,
websites, Lego trains run by RCXs, GBCs, Moonbase, etc., they looked at me like
I was speaking in tongues. Then after humoring me for awhile they went on with
the "real" organizing...

Has this been the normal reaction most of you have experienced getting into FLL?
Or is FLL something AFOL are just aware of and not really interested in?

Anyone in OC (or anywhere, for that matter) know how to root out some closet
AFOL who might be interested in starting up/mentoring new FLL teams? Evidently
there are only FOUR teams between LA and SD county!

Darrell

Re: Bricks for Brains Big Announcement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 23:28:05 GMT

In lugnet.edu, Duane Collicott wrote:

nobody pockets money from Brick Bash... and nobody pays admission
for Brick Bash.

And, at least from my experience, *everybody* has a very good time at BrickBash.
Congratulations Duane on this! It's great news.

--
Brian Davis

Re: Bricks for Brains Big Announcement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 19:35:20 GMT

In lugnet.edu, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Duane Collicott wrote:
   I am very proud to announce that Bricks for Brains (www.BricksForBrains.org) has just received word from the IRS that our application for tax-exempt status has been approved.

Congrats! Now, does this mean that when you run BrickBash, you aren’t allowed to keep any of the gate proceeds? I mean, seriously, what does happen to all the monies we fork over for admission? I propose that you start divying it up amongst displaying attendees.

Hopefully by the time BB rolls around again you’ll have forgotten all about this and won’t remember to make good on your threat. ;P

It means next year admission cut in half.

Side note to those who don’t get the jokes but really have a need to know these things: nobody pockets money from Brick Bash (except the pizza delivery guy), and nobody pays admission for Brick Bash.

Re: Bricks for Brains Big Announcement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:44:26 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Duane Collicott wrote:
   I am very proud to announce that Bricks for Brains (www.BricksForBrains.org) has just received word from the IRS that our application for tax-exempt status has been approved.

Congrats! Now, does this mean that when you run BrickBash, you aren’t allowed to keep any of the gate proceeds? I mean, seriously, what does happen to all the monies we fork over for admission? I propose that you start divying it up amongst displaying attendees.

Hopefully by the time BB rolls around again you’ll have forgotten all about this and won’t remember to make good on your threat. ;P

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact