 Organizations / United States / 774
773  |  775
Subject:
Is it normal that my local FLL knows nothing about AFOLs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:02:40 GMT

OK, so I got roped into going to a meeting of a fledgling Robotics League in
Orange County, California. They invited me because one of the founders of the
League knew I was into Lego. There were several FIRST and FLL coaches,
mentors,and club organizers from other areas of SoCAL present. The idea was to
use their expertise to help start up new teams in my area. But while there was
plenty of talk about involving local schools, afterschool programs, churches,
etc. no one had any idea ADULTS were into this stuff.

Huh? I've never been involved with FLL before, and I've been out of the AFOL
scene entirely for years now, but I thought AFOL groups and FLL were intimately
connected. When I told these people there were internantional conventions, LUGs,
websites, Lego trains run by RCXs, GBCs, Moonbase, etc., they looked at me like
I was speaking in tongues. Then after humoring me for awhile they went on with
the "real" organizing...

Has this been the normal reaction most of you have experienced getting into FLL?
Or is FLL something AFOL are just aware of and not really interested in?

Anyone in OC (or anywhere, for that matter) know how to root out some closet
AFOL who might be interested in starting up/mentoring new FLL teams? Evidently
there are only FOUR teams between LA and SD county!

Darrell