 Dear LEGO / 824
Re: "If it were my toy company..."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:40:19 GMT

Well, it depends. One, if they update their machines. Most molds can be
run on different machines, it is just a matter of setting up the machine
for the specific mold (core temperature, shot size, etc.) I know
somebody posted they put all their old molds in cement, and use the
cement blocks for buildings. That might mean no more outdated parts.

Yes, TLG does imbed worn out molds in buildings.  No, the molds are not hard to
make.  It is the pattern making that is hard to do (the first mold)

I would imagine that the LEGO molds have been done on CAM for quite some
time...since the best way to make molds is using CAM, and has been for certanly
20 years or more now.
(as a aside, when did G and M codes come out?)

The 'best' way to cut a mold is using EDM (Electro Discharge Machining), which
is all CAM. If the CAM pattern still exists, then it is not all that hard to
make another mold, nor does it cost all that much.  (just the machine time)

James Powell