 Dear LEGO / 739
Re: "If it were my toy company..."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 18:17:20 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, David Simmons writes:
Go Todd!  I agree wholeheartedly with every idea, especially the point
about being able to submit your own models for consideration as a
company-produced set.  Just imagine a line of text on the box:

"This Lego set custom designed by:  Your name here!"      That would be
REALLY cool!

Maybe someday we'll see Larry's black hopper car.  Wouldn't that rock?!  :)

The big legal hurdle there is indemnification against false representation.
(Say some model creator steals a design from someone else and represents the
design as his/her own, and the original designer threatens litigation.  Who
is responsible?)

But the only logistical hurdles are codifying the model designs and choosing
the most appropriate ones for production runs.  Allowing the community en
masse to choose the models through various filtering mechanisms would be an
effective way to do this, at very little marginal cost to the company (big
setup costs, of course).

I wonder what a quarterly contest seeking a half-dozen fan-created models
for actual production would do for parts sales?

--Todd