 Dear LEGO / 5652
Re: LEGO marble runs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:42:05 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Chris Marx wrote:

(Last things first here...)

So what do you think LUGNET? Is there any interest out there for
this kind of thing from TLG, or am I all alone out here?

Given the the rise of the GBCs has been one of the most amazing things I've seen
in the AFoL community, I'd say you're far from alone. I'd love to see TLG come
out with some LEGO-based marble runs (or rolling ball sculptures, or any of the
numerous other names). I'm not sure why they've not done it already. With the PF
motors, there's a system to power lifts. Just package it up. They even have a
ready-made design study in the numerous GBC modules that are out there.

1. LEGO parts can be used to build almost anything imaginable.
If we want to build ball tracks with LEGO it can certainly be
done... That being said, specialized parts would be a huge
advantage.

Also a huge (cost) disadvantage. Remember LEGO has tried to reduce the parts
pallet, so anything that expands it needs to really prove its worth. And since
it's quite possible to build GBCs/RBSs out of the currently existing LEGO parts,
I'm not sure I see a strong reason for expanding. The most difficult part is
building a reliable lift, and even that can certainly be done without new molds.

3. We know that there is some market for this type of toy.

That actually what puzzles me - there seems to be a strong market for this sort
of set, and it's one exploited by many of LEGOs direct competitors. Do they just
not wish to compete there?

...have special pieces to allow for the creation of custom shaped
track geometries. I'm imagining some kind of bracket that would
hold two rails for the marbles to run on, with the rails being made
out of those hard plastic tubes that came with some of the technic
sets.

It might be tough to join those very thin tubes with supports in a strong enough
way. The larger diameter "ribbed" tubing works quite well in this regard, with
normal parts (cross-blocks and similar) making for adjustable spaced brackets.

Would I buy these sorts of sets? Probably in a heartbeat, and I'll bet we could
sell them out anywhere a group GBC is displayed. The single most common question
being "where can I buy this?". 'Course, we've seen how well this sort of
argument worked for 9V trains...

--
Brian Davis