 Color / 579
Re: Universal Color List...finally
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:02:30 GMT

In lugnet.color, Johannes Koehler wrote:

   I wonder, though: It was said those old-colour packs were limited to 10,000 bags each (http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=5877). But they are still available. So does that mean that 2500 Lugnet members + assumably double that number of AFOLs who are not Lugnet members wouldn’t be able to get 10000 bags of old grey bricks “sold out”? I’m not saying it’s a bad thing they are still availabe, quit the contrary. I just wonder if the official number of “10,000” was completely true? Or if oldgrey bricks are even still in production? Maybe they (TLC) didn’t know exactly how many oldgrey pellets they still had in stock so they just guessed it would be enough for 10000 bags of bricks and plates, but it turned out they had more on stock so they continue the production. Or they just said “limited to 10000” to get us buying as soon and as many as possible.....

The absolute truth is that there were 10,000 bags of each of color (3 colors x 2 bag styles) produced. I’m am beyond positive about this because I was part of this process. I’m not sure what else I can do to make you believe that, and my fear is that you’re not going to believe me no matter what I do. That’s your choice.

The reality is that AFOLs, the primary market for these bags, haven’t bought enough to sell them out. Some bags remain in higher quantities than others, and MANY more bags were sold in the US than in Europe. I’m not saying this is good or bad, it just “is”.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

Re: Universal Color List...finally
   The reality is that AFOLs, the primary market for these bags, haven’t bought enough to sell them out. Some bags remain in higher quantities than others, and MANY more bags were sold in the US than in Europe. I’m not saying this is good or bad, it just “is”.

Jake

Ah, so they’re just not sold out yet ... was wondering myself there. I confess I’m feeling a bit guilty for not buying my share as AFOL. Well ok, I DID buy around 40 copies of gray baggies and still I could have bought more ... but what would I want with that many plates and bricks with no other elements availible in light gray anymore, or with an uncertain supply of elements in that particular color in the future? I already built myself one DEATH STAR II in light gray ... :)

Re: Universal Color List...finally
The absolute truth is that there were 10,000 bags of each of color (3 colors
x 2 bag styles) produced. I'm am beyond positive about this because I was
part of this process. I'm not sure what else I can do to make you believe
that, and my fear is that you're not going to believe me no matter what I do.
That's your choice.

Thanks, I accept that. I have no reason to doubt you tell the truth. I was just
hoping...

Some bags remain in higher quantities than others,
and MANY more bags were sold in the US than in Europe.

Maybe because in Europe there are three Legolands and some LEGO Stores where you
can buy loose bricks (oldgrey and oldbrown amongst others) that are less
expensive than the bags from SaH. I don't say it's good or bad, either.

Bye
Jojo

In lugnet.color, Burkhard Schloemer wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Jake McKee wrote:

   The reality is that AFOLs, the primary market for these bags, haven’t bought enough to sell them out. Some bags remain in higher quantities than others, and MANY more bags were sold in the US than in Europe. I’m not saying this is good or bad, it just “is”.

Jake

Ah, so they’re just not sold out yet ... was wondering myself there. I confess I’m feeling a bit guilty for not buying my share as AFOL. Well ok, I DID buy around 40 copies of gray baggies and still I could have bought more ... but what would I want with that many plates and bricks with no other elements availible in light gray anymore, or with an uncertain supply of elements in that particular color in the future? I already built myself one DEATH STAR II in light gray ... :)

Saying that “no other elements availible in light gray anymore” is stretching the situation a bit. There are reasonably large quantites of both ‘classic’ grays available on BrickLink. The ‘floor sweepings’ tubs/boxes/etc from both 2003 and 2004 have contained a fair amount of the ‘classic’ grays. Other than a few special pcs (like the 2x2 convex corner slopes, which were always HTF) the parts *are* generally avaialble. You might have an issue with the price of a few of them, but they are generally available. In addition, the 2004 ‘floor sweepings’ boxes also contain a fair distribution of the new grays. You might say that TLC is priming the pump a bit to get the creative waters flowing using the new bits.

Ray

[...]

That is true. I have plenty of “old-gray” bricks, and there will probably be plenty “old-gray” elements on bricklink for a long time to come, but my main issue is that elements introduced after the color-change (like the 3x12 wedge-plate) will NEVER be available in “old-gray”. If I come up with a MOC that I wanted to use the 3x12 plates in I will either have to aquire all the parts necessary in “new-gray”, build a mis-matching gray MOC, or be limited to the realm of CAD. In my opinion, that is the true problem with the color discontinuity. IF TLC was willing to release a very limited quantity of “old-gray” service packs that made newer elements available every year, I would be AFOL demand would be much higher for those than the existing “old-gray” parts-baggies.

That is just my opinion. And I do thank Jake again for attempting to do what he could to try to help the situation out.

drc

Re: Universal Color List...finally
Ah, so they’re just not sold out yet ... was wondering myself there. I confess I’m feeling a bit guilty for not buying my share as AFOL. Well ok, I DID buy around 40 copies of gray baggies and still I could have bought more ... but what would I want with that many plates and bricks with no other elements availible in light gray anymore, or with an uncertain supply of elements in that particular color in the future? I already built myself one DEATH STAR II in light gray ... :)

(snip) IF TLC was willing to release a very limited quantity of
   “old-gray” service packs that made newer elements available every year, I would be AFOL demand would be much higher for those than the existing “old-gray” parts-baggies.

That is just my opinion. And I do thank Jake again for attempting to do what he could to try to help the situation out.

drc

The only problem I see with that idea is that if the 10K bags of gray weren’t sold, that means there’s stuff in inventory. The market demand of that set doesn’t seem to warrant production of more (since there’s inventory left). Right now, those bags are costing Lego money and taking up space (more money). IF they didn’t sell fully, why warrant more of the old color, (especially if there’s no more color to mold)? (just thinking like a business owner here...)

Scott

Re: Universal Color List...finally
issue is that elements introduced after the color-change  (like the 3x12
wedge-plate) will NEVER be available in "old-gray".  If I come up with a MOC
that I wanted to use the 3x12 plates in I will either have to aquire all the
parts necessary in "new-gray", build a mis-matching gray MOC, or be limited
to the realm of CAD.  In my opinion, that is the true problem with the color
discontinuity.  [IF] TLC was willing to release a very limited quantity of
"old-gray" service packs that made newer elements available every year, I
would be AFOL demand would be much higher for those than the existing
"old-gray" parts-baggies.

Sic est.

Bye
Jojo