 Color / 1448
Re: off-color red bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:58:59 GMT

In lugnet.color, Dave McCooey wrote:
Our off-color red bricks are from the 60s, and the plastic they are made from
seems to be at least as hard as ABS, so they aren't made from this third, softer
plastic.  They are most likely CA, but the fact that none of them are warped is
suspect.  They all interlock well with ABS bricks.  It's just that they don't
"grip" very well.

Well the lack of "grip" is a strong hint for CA anyway. Even if the bricks are
not warped, there is some extent of shrinkage which causes the lack of grip - I
think I heard from different sources that CA bricks never had too much grip to
begin with.

Speaking of bricks with the old LEGO imprint on the studs, we have lots of them.
They appear to be ABS, as you mentioned.  These are probably mid-60s bricks.

Could be - I can only refer to the few blue slopes I have, and the material is
positively ABS. Might be LEGO produced ABS bricks using the old masters,
although I understand the machinery required is in several points very different
from the one used for CA.

Isn't there any official statement on the history of LEGO brick materials?

Jerry