 Color / 1439
  off-color red bricks

In our LEGO collection from sets bought in the 60's and 70's, some of the red bricks (a small percentage) are slightly off-color. They have a more glossy surface than other bricks, and they do not grip very well with other bricks or with each other. (...) (16 years ago, 16-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) Those sound like cellulose acetate bricks. (16 years ago, 16-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) Thanks for the reference, and I now see that several online LEGO histories mention cellulose acetate as the material for all bricks prior to 1963. (16 years ago, 16-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) There were also some parts that did not fit into either type of plastic. It is a different red and a few yellow air tanks, plate 1x2 with ladder and some of the 1x1 plates with clips or headlights. There is a difference that is clear to see (...) (16 years ago, 17-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) Was this other plastic type used in the 60s or earlier? These red bricks in our collection are glossy and have an orange-ish tint, which fits the description for CA (at least based on what I've read here on LUGNET), but none of them are (...) (16 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) I think there are two issues here: The original CA bricks (made until 1963) have a tendency to warp, shrink or become similarly unusable. The extent of warping or shrinking varies, depending on how the bricks were treated and stored over the (...) (16 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) No these are softer plastic, I have only noted them in the air tanks and 1xs2 plate ladders and some 1x1 plates. The are from the 70s and very earily 80s. All were a little off color. John P (16 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) You are right, some of the minifig air tanks of that period appear to be of a very weird material. As opposed to later versions, they are unusually worn out and the color actually seems to fade over the years. Can't say what material they are, (...) (16 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) Our off-color red bricks are from the 60s, and the plastic they are made from seems to be at least as hard as ABS, so they aren't made from this third, softer plastic. They are most likely CA, but the fact that none of them are warped is (...) (16 years ago, 20-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) Well the lack of "grip" is a strong hint for CA anyway. Even if the bricks are not warped, there is some extent of shrinkage which causes the lack of grip - I think I heard from different sources that CA bricks never had too much grip to begin (...) (16 years ago, 20-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)

  Re: off-color red bricks

(...) These off color bricks are from the mid to late 70s and maybe into the very early 80s. The are neither kind of plastic that the Samsonite and early sets were made from, a totally different soft plastic and they grip the same as the newer (...) (16 years ago, 20-Dec-07, to lugnet.color)