 Color / 1439

Subject:
off-color red bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2007 02:36:17 GMT

In our LEGO collection from sets bought in the 60's and 70's, some of the red
bricks (a small percentage) are slightly off-color.  They have a more glossy
surface than other bricks, and they do not grip very well with other bricks or
with each other.  They seem to be made out of a different type of plastic, but
they say "LEGO" on the studs, so presumably they are authentic bricks.  Most are
2x4 bricks, but there are some 2x3 and 2x2 bricks as well.  Out of curiosity,
has anybody else seen these bricks?

Re: off-color red bricks
In our LEGO collection from sets bought in the 60's and 70's, some of the red
bricks (a small percentage) are slightly off-color.  They have a more glossy
surface than other bricks, and they do not grip very well with other bricks or
with each other.  They seem to be made out of a different type of plastic, but
they say "LEGO" on the studs, so presumably they are authentic bricks.  Most are
2x4 bricks, but there are some 2x3 and 2x2 bricks as well.  Out of curiosity,
has anybody else seen these bricks?

Those sound like cellulose acetate bricks.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/

Re: off-color red bricks
In our LEGO collection from sets bought in the 60's and 70's, some of the red
bricks (a small percentage) are slightly off-color.  They have a more glossy
surface than other bricks, and they do not grip very well with other bricks or
with each other.  They seem to be made out of a different type of plastic, but
they say "LEGO" on the studs, so presumably they are authentic bricks.  Most are
2x4 bricks, but there are some 2x3 and 2x2 bricks as well.  Out of curiosity,
has anybody else seen these bricks?

Those sound like cellulose acetate bricks.

Thanks for the reference, and I now see that several online LEGO histories
mention cellulose acetate as the material for all bricks prior to 1963.

Re: off-color red bricks
In our LEGO collection from sets bought in the 60's and 70's, some of the red
bricks (a small percentage) are slightly off-color.  They have a more glossy
surface than other bricks, and they do not grip very well with other bricks or
with each other.  They seem to be made out of a different type of plastic, but
they say "LEGO" on the studs, so presumably they are authentic bricks.  Most are
2x4 bricks, but there are some 2x3 and 2x2 bricks as well.  Out of curiosity,
has anybody else seen these bricks?

Those sound like cellulose acetate bricks.

Thanks for the reference, and I now see that several online LEGO histories
mention cellulose acetate as the material for all bricks prior to 1963.

There were also some parts that did not fit into either type of plastic.  It is
a different red and a few yellow air tanks, plate 1x2 with ladder and some of
the 1x1 plates with clips or headlights.  There is a difference that is clear to
see and they are not the CA or the plastic they use now.  The very early bricks
also had a different color to them.
John P

Re: off-color red bricks
[...]

Was this other plastic type used in the 60s or earlier?  These red bricks in our
collection are glossy and have an orange-ish tint, which fits the description
for CA (at least based on what I've read here on LUGNET), but none of them are
warped, even in the slightest.  We have some white bricks that are warped, so
they are probably CA.  Is it possible that red CA bricks don't warp like other
CA bricks?

Re: off-color red bricks