Subject:
What will Castle World be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 22:55:06 GMT

Ok - most of the discussion in the other post is getting away from the real
point - the need for a new site.  As Dave said - we need to figure out what
Castle World will be.  Here is one idea.  If people like it, we could then worry
about who will put up a site and such (volunteers?).

Why have Castle World?

The main reason for Castle World is inspire people to create.  While the
lugnet.castle community certainly does that, often the smaller contributions are
lost in light of the massive ones.  Castle World would be a collection of all
those – none really being more important than others.

On top of that, it would be a nice central place for a beginner to check out
what kind of creations are out there.

Main Page

The main page would contain an explanation of how to participate in Castle
World, links to the different guilds, as well as some history.  It will be more
of a crossroads to the different guild pages.

Guild Pages

The reason to have guilds is to match people up by interests and to maximize the
freedom that people have in creating.  Forming a guild will be pretty easy as
long as it fits into a few guidelines that are laid out.

A guild is basically a theme.  A guild needs to have a purpose around which the
participants can work.  Below are two examples of what could constitute a guild.
You could get as creative as you choose to though.

Purpose:  Setting

If I decide to build a town, I can create a guild that will focus around this
town.  If someone wants to be involved in the development of the town or the
story surrounding the town, they can e-mail me and request to be involved.  If
our interests match up, then they can join.  The people within the guild should
cooperate to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Purpose:  Profession

Another example of a guild could be the guild of merchants.  People can build
specialty shops and form a guild around that.

Forming your guild

First thing you need to do is to submit an application for your guild to the CW
admin.  After you get the thumbs up, design your page and upload it to your
designated folder.  You should also come up with a button or banner (size?) for
your guild.  Send that to the admin as well.  You will then receive the username
and password to the ozbrick.net site.  Please be respectful of it and don’t give
it out.  You yourself should handle all submissions to your guild page.

After that, it’s up to you.  The admin will link to your guild from the main
page and you have the green light to do whatever you want to.

If you choose to form a guild, you are expressing a willingness to work with
others.  You need to have a minimum proficiency with HTML – enough to design and
update your own guild page.  You also need to have a theme that unifies the
efforts of those in your guild.

You also need to specify whether your guild is a Virtual one or an Existent one.
A virtual guild might not have all the structures built at the time of the
viewing.  On the other hand, if you visit the web page of an Existent guild, all
structures you see on that page are currently built and could be used in a
story.

Joining a guild

To join a specific guild, contact the person in charge of that guild – they will
have their own guidelines for membership.  You can join more than one guild at a
time.  If you have a blacksmith shop in the Kumbayashi kingdom, you can be a
member of both the blacksmith guild as well as the Kumbayashi guild.

Does CW have to be real time?

This is up to the individual guilds.  When you join a guild, make sure you look
at whether the guild is a Virtual one or an Existent one.  There are perks to
both.

Let me know what you think - please be specific and constructive, and let's make
this happen :)

     -- Pawel