 Castle / 3758
Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:45:56 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:

Nay, that's not what I meant; I was referring to the feeling that castle-walls
at ground level are silly, because the windows are ubiquitous and
inappropriate... you don't want invaders to sneak through the ground windows,
now, do you?

Heh.  Any invader that can squeeze through those windows is likely to find a
way to get to the second story to squeeze through them. :D

eric

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
Nay, that's not what I meant; I was referring to the feeling that castle-
walls
at ground level are silly, because the windows are ubiquitous and
inappropriate... you don't want invaders to sneak through the ground windows,
now, do you?

Heh.  Any invader that can squeeze through those windows is likely to find a
way to get to the second story to squeeze through them. :D

LOL... they can still easily stick a spear or aim an arrow thru them tiny
windows if they felt up to it... :-)

-Shiri
PS - Me told you, mine grammar went to spring break on sunny CA ;-)

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
Nay, that's not what I meant; I was referring to the feeling that castle-
walls at ground level are silly, because the windows are ubiquitous and
inappropriate... you don't want invaders to sneak through the ground
windows, now, do you?

Heh.  Any invader that can squeeze through those windows is likely to find a
way to get to the second story to squeeze through them. :D

LOL... they can still easily stick a spear or aim an arrow thru them tiny
windows if they felt up to it... :-)

If they are not slaughtered by the soldiers in the wall, on the towers, and
above them on the parapets.  :)  Ever wonder why there is a slight overhang up
there?  Why, in order to drop rocks on the enemies below, of course!.  ;)

Jeff

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
If they are not slaughtered by the soldiers in the wall, on the towers, and
above them on the parapets.  :)  Ever wonder why there is a slight overhang up
there?  Why, in order to drop rocks on the enemies below, of course!.  ;)

Okay, okay, OKAY!! You guys got me, I was just trying to make a point but
_Never mind_! ;-)

-Shiri

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
LOL... they can still easily stick a spear or aim an arrow thru them tiny
windows if they felt up to it... :-)

If they are not slaughtered by the soldiers in the wall, on the towers, and
above them on the parapets.  :)

...while crossing the moat to *get* to the window, I was going to say. :D

Ever wonder why there is a slight overhang up
there?  Why, in order to drop rocks on the enemies below, of course!.  ;)

Two words:  Murder Holes.

eric

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
LOL... they can still easily stick a spear or aim an arrow thru them tiny
windows if they felt up to it... :-)

If they are not slaughtered by the soldiers in the wall, on the towers, and
above them on the parapets.  :)

...while crossing the moat to *get* to the window, I was going to say. :D

Right.  :)

Ever wonder why there is a slight overhang up
there?  Why, in order to drop rocks on the enemies below, of course!.  ;)

Two words:  Murder Holes.

Those are the name for the holes in a gatehouse floor.  There is another name
for the ones on the parapets, but I can't remember the word...  I think it
starts with "mach"...  Hmm...  time to find some of my castle guidebooks...

Jeff

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
Those are the name for the holes in a gatehouse floor.  There is another name
for the ones on the parapets, but I can't remember the word...  I think it
starts with "mach"...  Hmm...  time to find some of my castle guidebooks...

"Machicolation"...

Franklin
(who stilll has his copy of the 1st edition AD&D DMG :-)

In lugnet.castle, Franklin W. Cain writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:

Two words:  Murder Holes.

Those are the name for the holes in a gatehouse floor.  There is another name
for the ones on the parapets, but I can't remember the word...  I think it
starts with "mach"...  Hmm...  time to find some of my castle guidebooks...

"Machicolation"...

Cool, thanks.  :)

Franklin
(who stilll has his copy of the 1st edition AD&D DMG :-)

Don't have that one, but I have a bunch of other 1st Ed. books.  :)

Jeff

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
In lugnet.castle, Franklin W. Cain writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:

Two words:  Murder Holes.

Those are the name for the holes in a gatehouse floor.  There is another name
for the ones on the parapets, but I can't remember the word...  I think it
starts with "mach"...  Hmm...  time to find some of my castle guidebooks...

"Machicolation"...

Franklin
(who stilll has his copy of the 1st edition AD&D DMG :-)

(pulls an old, worn 1st edition DMG from the bookshelf in his office)

I quote...

Machicolation: This is a stone projection which moves the battlement out over
the outer face of the wall.  It has spaces in the stone flooring which allow
missiles to be discharged to the space at the wall foot.

(pulls out a copy of "The Palladium Book of Weapons & Castles" from 1982)

I quote again...

Machicolations - stone structures built out over castle walls to enhance
defense.

and while I've got this open...

Arrow Loops - slots in walls from which arrows could be shot.

(these were often cross-shaped to allow traversal from left to right and up and
down, while giving maximum defense to the archer)

Murder Holes - holes in interior passages through which arrows may be shot.

This concludes our Castle Building 101 class for the day.  Tomorrow, we study
with references other than gaming books!

Tony

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
This concludes our Castle Building 101 class for the day.  Tomorrow, we study
with references other than gaming books!

Where's the fun in that?  ;)

Jeff