 Castle / 2789
Re: [CW] Domain Name, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:53:43 GMT

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:28:49 GMT, "Pawel Nazarewicz" <verneer@utk.edu>
wrote:

Exactly how much money are you talking about needing, Pawel, and for
what?  You'll need $70 for the Domain registration most likely.  If
you do setup an account at Pair (I like 'em - have 3 domains hosted
there) you will want to prepay for a year of service so you get the
biggest prepayment discount.

Correct me if I'm wrong here ... can I get it for $35? 0

http://www.qwho.com/

There ARE cheaper solutions available now for registering domain
names, yeah.  There are also problems with them (from what I've seen)
although most of the problems I've seen have been getting
NetworkSolutions to transfer a domain to another registrar.

After looking into it I knew I didn't have the time to deal with any
crap - I wanted my domains and I wanted them quick.  Pair is some kind
of ultra-gold premier partner with NSI, and I just filled out a form
at Pair and let them do the work.  The only flak I caught was
transferring my domain (guarded-inn.com) from directhosting.com to
pair.com, but I think the holdup was on NSI or directhosting's part,
because 45 minutes after an e-mail to urgent at pair everything was
fixed.

And then there is the fee for having the URL catcher at namesecure.com.  I
think those are the fees that are necessary for right now.

I'm not sure why you would need to use them, unless you were going to
try to point it to your UTK web address, and, to be honest, if you're
gonna do that I don't think I want to know about it because I'm not
sure it would be kosher with the guys down the hall who administer our
web servers (not so much the forwarding, but the writing things to let
people upload files to the server - at minimum someone could tag you
with stepping outside of purely academic use of the resources, which
is, of course, what they are for, even if most people use them for
more).

If you got an account at Pair you'd pay them a buck a month to host
the domain name.  Looks like you'd be paying namesecure.com more than
double that per year (much more since with Pair you'd get prepayment
discounts).  So if you're planning on paying for an account anyway,
paying namesecure would be silly.  If you're planning on doing the
Xoom thing, well, maybe not.

Any chance that someone out there can set up a server for this?  ... or am I
getting too far ahead of myself here?

Yeah, you are.  You need a plan before asking if someone could devote
resources to it.  Theoretically, *I* could setup a server for it, but
I'd have to know a _lot_ more about what would be going on with the
resources before I could even begin thinking about it, and even then
I'd probably have to bow out.  I don't mind hosting a few "check these
out" picks on my university space (or even on my own personal machine
connected to the university's pipe) but I'm not too comfortable with
the thought of running a full-time webserver.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?