 Castle / 2178
Re: Castle World Map
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:50:18 GMT

craig hamilton wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Tim Coats writes:
I am playing with the idea of trying to make a map using POVRay which
would allow not only a top view of the map, but a rendered 3D view of
the map with trees and mountains, etc.  Does anyone think this is a good
idea, or is it too much work.

Timbo

hey, timbo!

  yes, it's a great idea, and it will work on the CW map i'm currently
designing. ...and, yes, it's too much work, but it'll be fun and well worth
it! try to hang loose for a couple more weeks when pawel and i will have a
LOT to show ya!

If people are interested I will try to get POVRay to output the sample
version I was playing with as an example.

We would need to work out a key for the Lego map:

Like:

1 stud = 1 mile (5 miles, etc.)
1 plate thickness = 1000 feet of elevation (I didn't want the relief map
to get too carried away)
Lego blue is water
Lego lt green is plains
Lego green is hills
Lego pine trees (1/4 size) are pine forest
Lego palm trees (1/4 or 1/8 size) are tropical forest
Lego tan is desert
Lego Dark gray is mountains
Lego White is snow
Lego Grey is castle/city
Lego yellow is beach (possibly coral reefs)
lego lt blue (possibly prickly bush (1/4 size)) is swamp
Lego red is Lava/volcano

Anyway, that is a brief summary of the direction I am thinking with the
Lego maps

There could actually be several scales, but they should be standardized
and everyone should use them, like: world map scale, regional scale, and
local scale.

Timbo