 Castle / 1925
1924  |  1926
Subject:
Better Character Category system??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 22:00:59 GMT

Someone mentioned the crossover between Pawel's character categories.  I
think the idea of having a general list or database of Castle World's
characters is an intriguing one.  After some thought, therefore, I'm
proposing the following scheme:

Assign a number of attributes to every character.  The combination of their
attributes yields what type of character they are.  Attributes that I can
think of would include:

fealty (loyalty to a lord)
nobility (being a lord)
royalty (being a king/queen or in direct line of succession)
labour-skill
commerce-skill
art-skill
magic-skill
equestrian-skill (can ride horseback)
seafaring-skill (can navigate ships)
battle-skill
itinerance (no permanent home)
leadership (within social group)
criminality

So by this system, we might define "king" as someone with royalty and
nobility.  A barbarian king might only be royalty.  An elven-king might have
royalty and magic-skill.

The king's artisans would have fealty and art-skill.  A common villager will
have fealty and and labour-skill.  A merchant might have fealty and
commerce-skill.  A warrior will have fealty and battle-skill.

An outlaw will have criminality.  A mercenary might have both criminality
and fealty (to an adversarial lord).

Does anyone like this system?

--

Paul Davidson