 Castle / 14918
Re: Medieval Marketplace web site is online!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 01:32:00 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Alan Findlay writes:
As one of those who gave input to the "Standard", hopefully I can give some
helpful comments.

    Yes, I only put Jeremy's name up for lack of knowing others to ask.

I think that as long as the outward "facings" of a large shop conform to the
standard, whatever happens behind the facades is pretty much up to you.

But remember, the idea is for a marketplace with temporary style structure
so really large shops might come across as permanent. (more on this below)

    Oh... I think mine will come across as very permanet, see the one I just
posted:
         http://www.lugnet.com/castle/?n=14901

As for your comments in the other thread, much of the thinking behind the
street standard was based on the idea that the marketplace would be a
pedestrian area, so the "street" would be rather congested. The back alley
was also envisaged (sp?) as a cramped area.

The idea of everything being rather close together was also intentional to
create a claustrophobic feeling of a mass of humanity jostling within a
small area.

   You still can't appreciat the fronts (I have tried with some prototypes).

My guess is that after to first gathering or two where marketplace creations
are put together there will be further comments and discussions on what
works and what doesn't. So, the standard may change over time. It may even
transpire that the colour of the baseplate will become a moot subject, but
we felt we needed to start somewhere.

      Hopefully.

When comparing to the Moonbase project,

       I didn't. ?

Picking up on the subject of temp/permanent structures: As I've pondered our
'finished' standard I've noticed that with a few tweeks it could become the
basis for developing a Market Road standard: Permanent multistory structures
filling a 16x16 (or bigger) baseplate (a la Blacksmith Shop) facing a 8 or
16 wide major road (maybe leading from the marketplace to the city gate).
Anyway, that's a random thought that someone may want to pick up and run >with.

       Mine allready looks like this.

Hopefully, my comments have helpful. If not, just ignore them ;)

  Yes

Alan

        Thanks and God Bless,

                    Nathan