 Castle / 14891
Re: Medieval Marketplace web site is online!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:43:26 GMT

As one of those who gave input to the "Standard", hopefully I can give some
helpful comments.

I think that as long as the outward "facings" of a large shop conform to the
standard, whatever happens behind the facades is pretty much up to you.

But remember, the idea is for a marketplace with temporary style structure
so really large shops might come across as permanent. (more on this below)

As for your comments in the other thread, much of the thinking behind the
street standard was based on the idea that the marketplace would be a
pedestrian area, so the "street" would be rather congested. The back alley
was also envisaged (sp?) as a cramped area.

The idea of everything being rather close together was also intentional to
create a claustrophobic feeling of a mass of humanity jostling within a
small area.

My guess is that after to first gathering or two where marketplace creations
are put together there will be further comments and discussions on what
works and what doesn't. So, the standard may change over time. It may even
transpire that the colour of the baseplate will become a moot subject, but
we felt we needed to start somewhere.

When comparing to the Moonbase project, remember that standard was developed
during a face-to-face meeting in which various ideas could be displayed and
critiqued. We did ours via email, without much chance to really "see" how
things would look -- so we may not have got it all right, but hopefully
mostly right.

Picking up on the subject of temp/permanent structures: As I've pondered our
'finished' standard I've noticed that with a few tweeks it could become the
basis for developing a Market Road standard: Permanent multistory structures
filling a 16x16 (or bigger) baseplate (a la Blacksmith Shop) facing a 8 or
16 wide major road (maybe leading from the marketplace to the city gate).
Anyway, that's a random thought that someone may want to pick up and run with.

Hopefully, my comments have helpful. If not, just ignore them ;)

Alan

In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeremy Scott writes:
After a late night, the Medieval Marketplace web site is finally online!

www.ozbricks.net/medievalmarket

The web site further explains the published "Market Standard" along with 10
color-coded diagrams, includes a full list of shop ideas to get you started
and will in the future hold a gallery of market shops, events calender and a
history of the Marketplace Project.

Thanks for you support so far and we look foward to many good shops coming
in the near future!

Jeremy Scott
Marketplace WebMaster

  Hi Jeremy,

      Looks great... Wondering if you could address some of my concerns:

             http://www.lugnet.com/castle/?n=14869

       One other question- Can I buil one giant shop (32x32) with 2 street
fronts and then indent where the ally comes in by a few dots so it can be
hooked up?

     Thanks and God Bless,

                 Nathan