 CAD / MLCad / 1925
Re: (First post) enter position and rotation dialog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:45:47 GMT

Thanks for the prompt reply. :)

I am aware of the rotate buttons, and have been using them allot. I even
reset the button for the axis I'm working with to step 1 instead of 15,
to try and get it lined up. It's still not working. :)

To give you an idea....I'll show you the model I'm building...

http://library.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=1473

I built this model at a friends house a couple of years ago. I noticed
it at brickshelf, and decided I could try to model it in MLCad.
My first mistake was starting off in the fine grid mode. after getting
80% built, and having to exactly position each piece..I realized I could
highlight the whole thing and snap to the large grid. Viola...a little
extra lining things up, and it was all fine....

Then I got to the roof sections. I figured out that an angle of '53'
will line the red pieces up with the black roof struts, (in step 16 and
17) however trying to get the black pieces lined up with that has been
seemingly impossible. I realize now I probably would have been better
off to assemble the roof pieces horizontally then rotate the whole thing
to fit the struts...but I didn't do it like that.

Also...anyone know if that ladder piece found in step 10 exists?

so now I'm trying to figure out how to read the DAT file. I want to know
what each of those segments are in the position and rotation sections. I
think if I can learn that, then the 'enter position and rotation dialog'
will be old hat.

Again, thanks to you all for your quick responses. Looks like this is
the place to go to get help :)

--Jeremy

Purple Dave wrote:
In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Jeremy Vandivere wrote:

I have placed a part (plate 1x2) into the work area, and I need to
rotate it along the X axis. in the 'enter position and rotation' dialog,
it says the angle is already 90 degrees. this is referring the the 90
degrees I had to rotate it to get it pointed long ways instead of
sideways. (can you tell I'm new?)

If you're using MLcad, there should be a toolbar with six circular arrow buttons
in it.  Those arrow bottons will rotate the part along all three axes.  The
arrows are modeled according to the top-view (default lower left frame), where
the left pair of arrows will roll it along a horizontal axis, the right pair
will rotate it on a vertical axis, and the middle pair will spin it flat on the
screen.  Just make sure you have the right part selected before you start
hitting the rotate buttons.

PS: playing with this program has prompted me to buy my first real lego
set in years. Anyone know when spider-man parts will be added to the
parts list? :)

It's all a matter of when someone wants it bad enough to program it in.  There's
a noticable shortage of painted parts compared to what has been officially
released, even though the shapes are already there, and minifigs are no
exception.  I get the idea that most of the part designers are interested in
building new shapes instead of adding various skins to them.