 CAD / LDD / 135
Re: LDD Model of GG-1 Electric Locomotive - Advice Requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 07:22:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.ldd, William R. Ward wrote:
   I think the issue here is the 3 axle truck itself. To work on a switch you would need to float the center axle a little - I’ve seen this done in LEGO trains before - so that it can make that really sharp bend on the curved part of the switch track without derailing.

My breakdown crane has 3 axle trucks using standard LEGO wheelsets, and traverses points just fine, although it does have 4 weight bricks holding it down.

It’s also not hinged to another truck; it only has to rotate around its center point. Being attached to the motor truck, the 3-axle trucks in the GG1 are being pulled a little bit off center as the wheels go into the curve, and I think that’s why the 3-axle truck can’t make it in this case.

I’ll play around with the trucks at some point - but the layout won’t require traversing the curved side of any switches at the show so I’ll live with it as-is for now.

--Bill.