 CAD / LDD / 133
Re: LDD Model of GG-1 Electric Locomotive - Advice Requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 01:46:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward wrote:
   Looks like a great model! I just bought one (black, without motors) and will report back when I get it built. In fact this is the first time I’ve ordered someone’s model from LEGO Factory. I am amazed at how smooth the process went.

Well it has arrived! I downloaded the instructions from legofactory.com and man do they stink! I don’t think it is any reflection on the design - the software just isn’t doing a very good job of coming up with the steps for creating this model. Once I have it built I may create instructions for it using MLCAD if anyone wants to give it a whirl. It is coming together fairly well though it’s quite a struggle.

If you don’t know what I mean try it - download the .lxf file and use the step by step mode (F7 I think) in LDD. The first 271 steps are one piece at a time, many of which are just floating in midair, and then step 272 has dozens of pieces being added all at once. Then back to hundreds of steps with one piece at a time being added, mostly in midair (hopefully not too many being inserted into the middle of the model!!)...

Glad that you ordered the GG1! This isn’t the first complaint about instructions generation in LDD, unfortunately. I would suggest trying the different instructions modes (there’s one for vehicles, buildings, and Technic) to see if you have better luck. You can also vary the number of pieces added to the model in a given step. From what I can tell so far, the instructions mode for buildings may be the best for many train designs, since it has a more intuitive, ground-up approach. With that said, I’m sure it’s far from perfect. Think of LEGO Factory models as part LEGO model and part jigsaw puzzle... it makes negotiating cryptic directions a lot more fun.

Also, there was a patch issued for LDD just the other day. If you fire up LDD 2.0, it should get the patch automatically. From what I can tell, it corrects some part placement issue. But who knows... maybe it does other things, too.

When you finish the GG1, put some pictures up online for us to check out!

-Jordan

A brief update ... I got it built a while ago but only today tried putting it on the tracks. Bad news, I’m afraid.

To make it work on LEGO curves, you need to remove the 4x6 tile with technic peg from the 3-axle trucks and add some tiles instead. The peg would need to go past the outer wall of the locomotive in order to clear the curve.

Worse news - even with that mod, it derails on switches unless you very carefully push it through by hand. The tightest spot in any LEGO layout is the S-curve of a switch. I think the issue here is the 3 axle truck itself. To work on a switch you would need to float the center axle a little - I’ve seen this done in LEGO trains before - so that it can make that really sharp bend on the curved part of the switch track without derailing.

But since it works OK on regular straights and curves with the mods I’ve made, I’ll be bringing it to Maker Faire in San Mateo and running it on our club layout. I’ll post pics soon.

--Bill.