 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 765
Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 02:36:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, we wrote:

  • I can’t seem to invoke “Fly Through” mode - the menu item becomes checked appropriately, but the status bar continues to read “Examine” and none of the fly through controls seem to be active. (In other words, except for the menu indicator, it remains in “Examine” mode.)

That’s very odd. It works fine in the version I compiled.

OK.

It could be that that was broken in the Linux QT version of LDView 3.1, and is fixed in the 3.2 code-base.

Well, it’s still not working in my 3.2 build with QT 4. This leads me to think that it is a QT issue, so I may end up trying QT 3 after all if a QT 4 culprit can’t be found.

After taking another look at the list of uic3 warnings and LDView.ui, I am willing to bet that my problems with fly-through mode - and polling mode, maybe - are due to QT4 differences. Both pollChanged(QAction*) and viewChangedMode(QAction*) are listed among the possibly unsupported “slots”, and while many of the toolbar elements seem to work fine, these two are the only ones that have a selected(QAction*) “signal” type. I haven’t deduced much other than this pattern, but I thought it might be worth sharing.

I realize you may not be eager to switch to QT4, and indeed, I have no reason to prefer it either other than that it’s what I downloaded first, but since these seem to be the only non-cosmetic issues with QT4 (at least on the Mac), it may be worth trying to resolve them, and thereby be done with the brunt of the transition. So understand that I am not clamoring for QT4 support or anything - I’m just offering my observations on the odd chance that they’ll lead to an easy fix.

Also, I realized that QT4 (and quite possibly previous versions) comes with a number of interesting utilities including designer and qtconfig. If I use qtconfig to select a GUI style other than Mac OS X/Aqua, more compact borders can be had, but at the expense of nice “native” widgets. Anyway, I think that suggests the big borders are just a style thing. Hopefully it is possible to eliminate them without losing the Mac button styles.

Take care,

Jim