 CAD / Development / 10550
Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:01:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --snip--
   So far, we have maintained the old DOS convention of max. 8 chars and no SPACE used in folder names. I realize that fewer and fewer programs and utils are made in DOS evironments, maybe I’m the only to still make quick ‘n’ dirty programs in Borland TC++ or in its likeness.

But yet, I haven’t heard anyting of letting go of the standrad either.

My question is: Do we still maintain the DOS naming convention in LDraw?

/Tore

(FOT: lugnet.cad.dev)

Personally I’m against maintaining it. It forces us into strange naming conventions for something which probably affects no users of the software.

Tim

It it really so? We still use renderers and utilities that have command line inputs, and I don’t know but I have a strong feeling that long names may cause problems like “Unofficial” turs into “Unoffi~1” followed by path not found errors. And the next step, using space chars in a path or file name is no doubt equal to asking for trouble.

I suggest we all try to do programs that support all kinds of file names, but when naming official folders and files, we stick to the problem free standard to avoid unnecessary bug reports and support requests.

(As I took my first steps into the world of PC in pre-Windows environemts, I find the non-DOS naming conventions (or rather, lack of conventions) very strange) ;)

/Tore