 CAD / Development / LDraw Connection Database / 31
Re: Read and draw .dat files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.lcd
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:34:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, Alexandre Soong writes:
Hello, everybody!

I am making a program that simulate a robot movement made with Lego (the
robot draw is already made in Ldraw format) on a computer screen. And I
pretend to use parts in .dat. I tried to learn it from ldglite but it is too
complex and I cannot find a good tutorial. The program will be made in C++
and OpenGL. If anyone can send me any information for this, I will be very
thankful!

Thanks and best regards,

Alex

Hello Alex!

Ldraw files are made of text lines.

Typically, in model files (that contain parts), lines begin with numbers
lower than 2
0: comment
1: part (position and orientation)

Typically, in part files (that contain primitives), lines begin with numbers
from 2 to 5
2: line (2 points)
3: triangle (3 points)
4: quad (4 points)

Of course most parts also contain line(s) 1 as subpart(s) because of either
complexity or standardization.

Read  http://www.ldraw.org/reference/specs/fileformat  for more info about
line format.

Happy programming,