 CAD / Development / 9709
9708  |  9710
Subject:
LDBoxer - Next Step and My Datsville Plans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:02:01 GMT

So far, LDBoxer has replaced all bricks and plates that has both top studs and
bottom studs/tubes covered by non-transparent parts.

Next step is to eliminiate drawing bottom studs/tubes when only top studs are
visible, and vice versa. Many models are built on plates instead of baseplates,
so I think we can save thousands of stud3's and stud4's from being parsed in
vain in Datsville if we add this option. I'm not sure if the gain with
top-stud-less version will be that high.

Next revision of "my" Datsville version will require the /B folder. I have
decided to replace all safe parts + many roof slopes the will look bad when
viewed from inside the buildings. If anyone wishes to shoot a picture from
inside a house, looking up to the roof, it will require re-doing that building
by restoring all \B references to original path. Sorry for that inconvenience,
but I have calculated the gain higher than the loss.

Next-next revision, I hope to have at least excessive bottom studs/tubes
removed.

For a while, I tried to keep the boxed version and a non-simplified version side
by side, but it's too complicated. And it's a lot easier for anyone to un-box
than for me to keep parallell versions updated.

While "boxing" all Datsville's buildings - this is a very time-consuming job,
even with the automatic and semiautomatic tools! - I want your input on the idea
of the planned two new simplification levels.

Let's say we call it A when top studs are removed and B when bottom studs/tubes
are removed (think: Above and Below)
Should we have the structure:

Parts\B
Parts\B\A
Parts\B\B

or

Parts\B
Parts\BA
Parts\BB
or anything better?

I think the first alternative is a little better. Or does anyone have a yet
better idea?

I really appreciate your input.

/Tore