 CAD / Development / 9020

Re: Mirrored parts and studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 00:54:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:

1.)  Nothing is wrong with the part.  The stud logos are added by an external
program and are not part of the DAT code.  This is, therefore, a limitation of
the external program and not of the part itself.

That is my opinion.  The programs should be changed, rather than the
parts.

One thing to consider: even if we 'fix' all the part files so that all
studs render non-mirrored logos, mirrored logos can still occur.  For
example, if someone created a left-hand wing for an airplane, they might
make the right-hand counterpart via a mirrored reference to the left
wing:
1 7 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 leftwing.ldr
1 7 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 leftwing.ldr
In this scenario, L3P will render mirrored logos on the right wing's
studs.

However, I'm willing to go with the idea outlined by Chris and Dave!  I
think that is a reasonable compromise, despite what I said in the past
about extra work and extra subfiles.

Also, if we're going to add any meta-statement (as Tore suggested), how
about adding a single statement for the file header:
   0 STUDSGOTHISWAY  0 0 1
where the three parameters give a vector, indicating the 'up' direction
for stud-logos.  That way, rendering programs could fix mis-rotated
studs, as well as fixing mirrored studs.

I'm axious to get a resolution on this since many otherwise good part are being
held up because of this issue.

I definitely would not hold a part because the studs aren't all lined
up!

Steve

Re: Mirrored parts and studs
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:

1.)  Nothing is wrong with the part.  The stud logos are added by an external
program and are not part of the DAT code.  This is, therefore, a limitation of
the external program and not of the part itself.

That is my opinion.  The programs should be changed, rather than the
parts.

And mine as well.  If LDView can correct for this then so can any other program.
The stud logos are a bonus feature offered by many programs but are not
officailly supported by the LDraw spec.

One thing to consider: even if we 'fix' all the part files so that all
studs render non-mirrored logos, mirrored logos can still occur.  For
example, if someone created a left-hand wing for an airplane, they might
make the right-hand counterpart via a mirrored reference to the left
wing:
1 7 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 leftwing.ldr
1 7 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 leftwing.ldr
In this scenario, L3P will render mirrored logos on the right wing's
studs.

This further supports my position on this matter

However, I'm willing to go with the idea outlined by Chris and Dave!  I
think that is a reasonable compromise, despite what I said in the past
about extra work and extra subfiles.

My problem with the studless subpart is that we'll set a precident that may be deterimental.  What if we have 2 32x32 baseplates that are mirror images?  would we have two files with 100+ stud that are exactly the same with the exception of the part being mirrored?   This will only serve to increase render time since we mow have to parse and extra subfile.

<snip>

I definitely would not hold a part because the studs aren't all lined
up!

I agree that this is a pretty petty reason for a hold vote

To sum up:

If LDView can correct for this, any program can.  The extra work and subfile
clutter are just not worth it for a nice-to-have-but-not-required bonus feature.

--Orion

Re: Mirrored parts and studs