 CAD / Development / 4270

Subject:
open source & inventory ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:15:02 GMT

Hello,

I've just resently discovered Ldraw and Mlcad and I'm absolutely amazed at
the power of these programs, allthough I've not yet build a real model
(other than the tutorial).

I have got 2 questions however.
1) Are any of the programs open source? I would like to see how these
programs work because judging at the format of the .DAT files, these seem to
be very well written and I thougt that they perhaps could provide an
interesting step toward learning and understanding 3-D modeling.

2) Is there a program that inventories a complete set, with the number and
kind of bricks, a jpg of the rendered model, and optionally the building
instructions.
The reason is I would like to inventorise all my lego-sets (together with
lose bricks) so I could calculate all room needed to store one kind of brick
and design/buy apropriate storage-facilities herefor.

Thanks.
Koen Jordens.

Ps , if this is a offtopic post, I hereby apologize.
        if there are a lot of spelling errors in my text, I hereby
apologize.

Re: open source & inventory ?
I've just resently discovered Ldraw and Mlcad and I'm absolutely amazed at
the power of these programs, allthough I've not yet build a real model
(other than the tutorial).

I have got 2 questions however.
1) Are any of the programs open source? I would like to see how these
programs work because judging at the format of the .DAT files, these seem to
be very well written and I thougt that they perhaps could provide an
interesting step toward learning and understanding 3-D modeling.

ldlite is open source. Ldlite is a viewer for ldraw .dat files.

2) Is there a program that inventories a complete set, with the number and
kind of bricks, a jpg of the rendered model, and optionally the building
instructions.
The reason is I would like to inventorise all my lego-sets (together with
lose bricks) so I could calculate all room needed to store one kind of brick
and design/buy apropriate storage-facilities herefor.

There is a way to do what you want, if you have dat files of a lego set, using
steve blisses ldraw addon.

Thanks.
Koen Jordens.

Ps , if this is a offtopic post, I hereby apologize.
        if there are a lot of spelling errors in my text, I hereby
apologize.

Re: open source & inventory ?
I've just resently discovered Ldraw and Mlcad and I'm absolutely amazed at
the power of these programs, allthough I've not yet build a real model
(other than the tutorial).

I have got 2 questions however.
1) Are any of the programs open source? I would like to see how these
programs work because judging at the format of the .DAT files, these seem to
be very well written and I thougt that they perhaps could provide an
interesting step toward learning and understanding 3-D modeling.

ldlite is open source. Ldlite is a viewer for ldraw .dat files.

Don Heyse has published source for ldglite, an OpenGL extension
of ldlite for Windows/Linux/Mac using L3 parser/viewer at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/File/8624/

Leonardo Zide has published the source for LeoCAD, see
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3867
/Lars

Re: open source & inventory ?
unfortunately, both sites seem to be no longer available. :-(

Don Heyse has published source for ldglite, an OpenGL extension
of ldlite for Windows/Linux/Mac using L3 parser/viewer at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/File/8624/

Leonardo Zide has published the source for LeoCAD, see
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3867
/Lars

unfortunately, both sites seem to be no longer available. :-(

Don Heyse has published source for ldglite, an OpenGL extension
of ldlite for Windows/Linux/Mac using L3 parser/viewer at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/File/8624/

Leonardo Zide has published the source for LeoCAD, see
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3867

Yeah, ldglite is getting booted from geocities and is currently homeless.
Apparently the quick links to the latest zip files that I published in
lugnet violated the geocities Terms Of Service by bypassing the homepage
with the advertisements (or something like that).

Oops!

Don

Re: ldglite is now homeless
unfortunately, both sites seem to be no longer available. :-(

Don Heyse has published source for ldglite, an OpenGL extension
of ldlite for Windows/Linux/Mac using L3 parser/viewer at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/File/8624/

Leonardo Zide has published the source for LeoCAD, see
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3867

Yeah, ldglite is getting booted from geocities and is currently homeless.
Apparently the quick links to the latest zip files that I published in
lugnet violated the geocities Terms Of Service by bypassing the homepage
with the advertisements (or something like that).

Oops!

Don

Why don't you set up an account at http://www.sourceforge.net ?

KL

Re: ldglite is now homeless
unfortunately, both sites seem to be no longer available. :-(

Don Heyse has published source for ldglite, an OpenGL extension
of ldlite for Windows/Linux/Mac using L3 parser/viewer at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/File/8624/

Leonardo Zide has published the source for LeoCAD, see
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3867

Yeah, ldglite is getting booted from geocities and is currently homeless.
Apparently the quick links to the latest zip files that I published in
lugnet violated the geocities Terms Of Service by bypassing the homepage
with the advertisements (or something like that).

Oops!

Don

Why don't you set up an account at http://www.sourceforge.net ?

I was thinking the same thing.  I already registered the project there and
am currently waiting for the project to be approved.

I can't wait to get access to the CVS.  That's gonna make things soo much
simpler.

Don

Re: ldglite is now homeless
Yeah, ldglite is getting booted from geocities and is currently homeless.
Apparently the quick links to the latest zip files that I published in
lugnet violated the geocities Terms Of Service by bypassing the homepage
with the advertisements (or something like that).

  I got the same message a while ago, if you reply and say that you'll
behave they will reopen your account.

Leonardo

Re: ldglite is now homeless
In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:
Don Heyse wrote:

Yeah, ldglite is getting booted from geocities and is currently homeless.
Apparently the quick links to the latest zip files that I published in
lugnet violated the geocities Terms Of Service by bypassing the homepage
with the advertisements (or something like that).

I got the same message a while ago, if you reply and say that you'll
behave they will reopen your account.

Leonardo

I already replied with an apology, but I think I'm going to give the
sourceforge a try.  I think CVS will help me organize things a bit.  Plus
I had plenty of problems connecting to geocities when I wanted to update
the site there.

Don

Re: ldglite is now homeless
I already replied with an apology, but I think I'm going to give the
sourceforge a try.  I think CVS will help me organize things a bit.  Plus
I had plenty of problems connecting to geocities when I wanted to update
the site there.

  I moved my pages from Geocities a long time ago but I kept some files
there to redirect users to my new page and to be a mirror site. And CVS
is only good if you have more people helping you, to me it didn't help
much. :)

Leonardo

Re: ldglite is now homeless